Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Red Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic Fleet

Article about: Please, meet Captain Rabinovich Shmul-Izek Semenovich (b.1920). In service since 1938, when after graduating secondary school he entered the Black Sea Higher Naval order of the Red Star Nakh

?

Default Red Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic Fleet

Please, meet Captain Rabinovich Shmul-Izek Semenovich (b.1920). In service since 1938, when after graduating secondary school he entered the Black Sea Higher Naval order of the Red Star Nakhimov School (ЧВВМУ). Graduated 15/Nov/1941.

Here is the hero in the centre as the Captain of the target ship "Цель" (Target), 1953. The identity is not 100% confirmed though... just 95% confirmed. All the details fit, so I am quite positive this is him.
    Red Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic FleetRed Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic FleetRed Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic Fleet
    The Red Banner order awarded to Commander Rabinovich Sh.S. in November 1944.
    Note, that the order has been customised from medal-ribbon brooch to screw back.This was a common practice among naval personnel, pilots and tank troops. They found it to be more practical.

Citation for Red Banner order 150463 for Moonsund Landing Operation:
    Executed battle missions during transition from Koivisto islands-Tallinn-Kuressaare and later operations for capture of Saaremaa island. Battles with enemy ships 19, 21, 22 November. Had the role of navigator for the boat detachment and showed exceptional courage and boldness.
    In high mine threat conducted the armor boat detachment from Koivisto to Kuressaare. Was at all times on the bridge of the leading boat giving navigation directions to the detachment during the operation for liberation of Saaremaa and battles against enemy ships. This allowed for precise and accident free operations. Personally spotted and corrected the main caliber fire in suppressing one heavy artillery battery and two machine gun nests, which assaulted our boats and infantry.
    Skilfully planned and changed boats course during the battle maximising effectiveness of our strikes, at the same time avoiding enemy fire.
    In all operations presented examples of professionalism, naval skills and personal courage. Worthy of awarding order of "Red Banner".
    Signed: Captain of the 5th ОМБК БШК БФ (Armored Coastal Boat brigade of the Baltic Fleet), Captain Lieutenant TUNGUSKOV, 22/XI-44.

Red Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic FleetRed Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic FleetRed Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic Fleet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic Fleet
    P
    Many

?

Commander Rabinovich Sh.S. served on the Armored motorboat MBK-513 (project 161, built June 1944). He later early in 1945 became the Captain of MBK-513 (was dismantled in November 1957).

MBK-513 of the project 161 built in 1944 (20 constructed in total; 10 in 1943 and 10 in 1944 with some modifications):
    • Crew 39 men; length 37.5m; draught 1.3m; displacement 163 tons ; speed 13.1 knots; range 330 miles.
    • Weapon system: two 76mm cannons in T-34 turrets, one 37m automatic cannon, two 45mm semiautomatic cannons, two 12,7mm machine-guns.

Rabinovich Sh. S. carrier record:
    • Cadet 1938
    • Lieutenant, Nov 1941
    • Sr. Lieutenant , June 1942
    • Lieutenant-commander, 1942
    • Subcommander, Aug 1943
    • Commander, March 1951
    • Captain, Jan 1959
    • Discharged with honor Sept 1960. Lived in Sevastopol.

Rabinovich Sh. S. service record:
    • Cadet of Black Sea Higher Naval Nakhimov School / 1938
    • Commander of the detached mortar battalion of 80th Naval Rifle Brigade / Nov 1941
    • Cadet of Lieutenant courses of Karelian front / Dec 1942
    • 01/Oct/1943 sent to Baltic Fleet.
    • First mate, armour boat / 04 Oct 1943
    • Armor boat "BK-513" (shipyard designation MBK-568), First mate and later the Captain / Oct 1944
    • Mine sweeper "Т-484", Captain / Aug 1946
    • Mine sweeper "Т-729", Captain / Apr 1948
    • Patrol boat "Berkut", Captain / Jan 1949.
    • Target ship radio control vessel "Vistrel" (former German "Blitz"), Captain / Nov 1950.
    • Target ship radio control vessel "UTs-6" (former German mine layer "T-17"), Captain / Apr 1951.
    • Target hip "Tsel'" (former German battleship "Hessen"), First mate; Simultaneously he is chief of staff of the radio controlled ships of Baltic Fleet/ Dec 1952.
    • From Nov 1954 occupied several different positions in the naval schools of Baltic Fleet.
    • Discharged with honor Sept 1960. Lived in Sevastopol.

Note 2 distinct stages in the hero's service after graduation in Nov 1941. The first year he was serving in a Naval Rifle Brigade commanding mortar battalion Karelian front. Only later was he relocated to actual naval theatre of operations.

Here is the map of positions of 80th Naval Rifle Brigade at Karelain front, 2 Aug 1942. Mortar unit marked.

?

Here are some other ships Captain Rabinovich had honour to serve on.

Mine sweeper "Т-484", project 254. Captain / Aug 1946

Mine sweeper "Т-729", project 255. Captain / Apr 1948

The here is the most intersting part: Target Ship radio control vessel "Vistrel" (former German radio control vessel "Blitz", before 1932 it was a mine layer). Here it is as a mine layer:

And here is the the "Blitz" seen against the target ship. Still German.

"Hessen" after after it was converted to target ship, after 1937.

SMS "Hessen" as German battleship.

Magnificent! I like how your research goes into detail, brings the story alive.

Great research! History does come alive with such excellent research. I love the Russian technology. Using T-34 turrents on a ship. Brilliant!

CBH
    ?

Great thread , I'd never heard of the T-34 turrets naval use before .

Thank you for sharing , also for becoming a paying member of the Forum .

?

[Nice link](https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/1...-patrol-boats/) for more info on those 'river tanks'.

Very nice order and thank you for sharing !

Default Boat with T34 turret...

Just a photo I came across today.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Banner for armored boat captain of Baltic Fleet  

I learned something new today. Never knew so many soviets prefered the screw back versions of the ORB. Nice medal and well researched!