Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Soviet Guard Badge

Article about: The same seller that is selling me the Red Star Order surprised me with this guards badge. I know so little about these, and just did a bit of a crash course via a number of threads on this

The seller took my offer, so I will be getting both the badges shown for about $110 shipped.

Looking forward to taking good photos of them for my photo archive and to share here! You guys are awesome
    Last edited by avenger; 11-07-2014 at 03:42 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Guard Badge
    P
    Many

?

If you're planning to delve into the field of Guards Badges (and you probably are, even if you don't know it yet ), you should consider getting Azad's book on Guards Badge variations: SavashAntiques
    It's in Russian, but the book is pretty self explanatory, and it comes with English machine translations (they're frankly quite poor, but it's better than nothing if you don't speak Russian).

P.S. He has a bunch of near mint Guards Badges, some with scarcer screw plates, for $55 each ;-)

Quote by Auke View Post
    If you're planning to delve into the field of Guards Badges (and you probably are, even if you don't know it yet ), you should consider getting Azad's book on Guards Badge variations: SavashAntiques
    It's in Russian, but the book is pretty self explanatory, and it comes with English machine translations (they're frankly quite poor, but it's better than nothing if you don't speak Russian).

P.S. He has a bunch of near mint Guards Badges, some with scarcer screw plates, for $55 each ;-)
    I have the book but I find it very difficult to use. When it gives 'by type' description, I think it would benefit from having all the detail pictures also referenced to what type (badge type) they are, I"m terrible at using the book to identify the type, and I have many badges.

It is not an e-book but a paper book. I'll take a photo of a sample page.
    As an example, there is a comparison of the 'guards' words, but those pictures could be footnoted to indicate what bad type (1.1? 2.1? 7? 9?) those examples came from or a table or grid of type and feature?
    The photos have a dark green background, I"m not sure this is the best option. I think an illustration of the measuring technique (maybe it is obvious?) to come of with the dimensions. Maybe it is just me.

Dom
    ?

See this : Untitled Document

Yes, here one thing I think would be really helpful is reference all the detail photos shown to the type listing in the back.
    Just a thought. I do like this book, I'm just not very skilled at using it. I also think that each 'type' reference could have detailed photos of the key points that distinguish it. So one page for each type with detailed photos highlighting a few key areas such as a) specific lettering b) a CLOSE in and clear shot of the tassels c) a CLOSE in shot of the leaves

I"m sure if someone 'taught' me to use the book I'd be better at quickly identifying the types involved.

OR what might be helpful is to see a bunch of folks post and type the badges they have using this books type references?

The guard badge made it in. New photos in first/original post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2