Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Two Soviet WWII Medals for Review. Military Merit & Valor.

Article about: Here is another quick shot that I snapped with my cellphone.

Default Re: Two Soviet WWII Medals for Review. Military Merit & Valor.

A quick copy and paste job:

Medal for Bravery
    Established 17 October 1938. Also known as the "Medal for Courage", "Medal for Valor" and "Medal for Gallantry". Considered the most highly respected Soviet military medal, it was awarded to personnel of all ranks in the Army, Navy, Border Troops and Ministry of Internal Affairs troops for personal bravery in a theater of operations; in defense of USSR borders; for performance of a soldier's duty in life-risking situations; and for activities against spies and subversive elements. Citizens as well as foreigners were also eligible for this award. This award could be received more than once. It is made of silver. Approximately 4,600,000 were issued.

Medal for Combat Service
    Established 17 October 1938. awarded to personnel of all ranks in the Army, Navy, Border Troops and Ministry of Internal Affairs troops for exceptional conduct in battle resulting in the successful execution of a battle task by the military division; for personal courage shown in defense of USSR borders; for excellence in military and political training; and for mastering new warfare techniques and technology. Citizens as well as foreigners were also eligible for this award. This award could be received more than once. Approximately 3,300,000 were issued.

However, the Combat Service Medal was also later issued for long service. I am sure Auke will expand on this.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two Soviet WWII Medals for Review. Military Merit & Valor.
    P
    Many

?

They were roughly interchangeable, but the Bravery Medal was most often awarded for real bravery in the face of the enemy, while the CMM was usually awarded to men in supporting branches, like quartermasters, administrative and staff officers, medics, cooks, drivers, et cetera. But this distinction wasn't always made.

I have three researched CMMs on my website, one to a driver, one to a vet and one to a depot head: Researched Soviet military awards

?

And as Ade already noted, a significant number of CMMs were awarded for long service. In the 1 million range there are hundreds of thousands that were given to officers for 10 years of service in 1944, and starting in the early 2 million range practically every CMM was awarded for long service. Also see: Soviet long service awards (1944–1957)

I should also note that thousands of late BMs (mostly around serial number 3.4 million) were awarded for wounds received during the war (these were mostly granted in 1947).

Joe, it seems that your two medals are 'real' awards and fall outside these serial number ranges.

Thanks for the information, gentlemen!

Whether or not my new medals represent long service or wounds, I am honored to have them and I am eager to know as much as possible about the brave men who earned them.

Sorry I am late to the party. I think I recognize who the seller is of these medals, and echo the assessments of my esteemed colleagues.

Bravery and Combat Service Medals and their archival citations are often overlooked by collectors in lieu of other medals/orders. That being said, I believe the former reflect and offer an oftentimes compelling insight into the experiences of soldiers of the Red Army.

See, for example, another Combat Service group posted some time ago: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/order...00229-a-17928/.

Thanks for the response, Bill!

I have already begun the research process for these two medals with Auke!

The two medals arrived today and look great! The valor medal is a lot larger than I thought it would be!

Here they are with the other medals in my Soviet collection. Since my other two Red Stars belonged to officers and have pictures of the soldiers to go along with them, I plan to frame them separately.

Two Soviet WWII Medals for Review. Military Merit & Valor.

Looks good Joe

Very nice, Joe. . .

Thanks, folks!

I think I'm going to take the kopek out and put it into my little collection of WWII era currency. The cap badge will be front and center.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast