Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet

Article about: This British vet of D-Day is wearing a Medal of Ushakov, a Capture of Berlin medal, and a couple of other Soviet medals that I cannot make out. I would love to know the story. D-Day veterans

Default Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet

This British vet of D-Day is wearing a Medal of Ushakov, a Capture of Berlin medal, and a couple of other Soviet medals that I cannot make out. I would love to know the story.

D-Day veterans arrive in Poole Dorset on MV Boudicca for 75th anniversary | Daily Mail Online

Thanks to all of these brave men who fought for our freedoms.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet  
    Last edited by Nacogdochian; 06-04-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet
    P
    Many

So would I !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Think they're the 40th, 50th and 60th anniversary of the arctic convoy medals, which is why he has the white beret?
    "Per Ardua"

?

With all my respect to this British vet he couldn't fight in Berlin, so it's not a Capture of Berlin medal. These are jubilee medals: 65 and 70 years of Victory.

I agree, it is 65 and 70 years jubilee medals.

40th, 50th & 60th :
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet  
    Attached Images Attached Images Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet  Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet  Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet 
    "Per Ardua"

These medals are not just for Russian convoys. Plus, it is not the 40, 50 and 60 years medals but next to the Ushakov only the 65 and 70 year anniversary medals. Plus next to these another, non-Russian medal.

65 years: Jubilee Medal "65 Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945" - Wikipedia
    70 years: Jubilee Medal "70 Years of Victory in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945" - Wikipedia

?

A bit strange that these medals called "convoy". They are just jubilee medals and were given not only to vets of convoy but to all vets who were alive in the year of anniversary.
    The brave vet on the photo has these two Russian medals: 65 and 70 years of Victory. Compare the ribbons.

Ushakov medal worn by Brit D-Day vet