Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Soviet star badge ID

Article about: Hi! I recently found this badge while metal detecting. I found it at a place where a Soviet M3 Lee tank blew up so I think that it belongs to a tank crew member. I was wondering what this ba

Default WW2 Soviet star badge ID

Hi! I recently found this badge while metal detecting. I found it at a place where a Soviet M3 Lee tank blew up so I think that it belongs to a tank crew member. I was wondering what this badges model is and on what pieces of headgear this was attached to. Also, is there any way of preserving this badge and removing the rust without damaging it?

Thanks!WW2 Soviet star badge IDWW2 Soviet star badge ID

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Soviet star badge ID
    P
    Many

Hello, llegion

Well .. I think it's too risky and would not worth it trying a clean up ... not an expert speaking.
    Last edited by FPerseghetti; 08-03-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typo

?

Generally warm water and dish soap combined with a softer brush, like a toothbrush, are the easiest cleansers that do the least damage.
    Be sure to dry it well to avoid any rusting to steel parts.

Hi, this is how it looks like cleaned up. It’s a model 1936 22mm pre-war star for pilotkas judging by the soldering points for the prongs which are diagonal.

I found it in an unexpected way when I was searching through some dirt I dug up earlier when I was searching for mainly tank parts and found it lying face down. It was quite an adrenaline rush as they are fairly rare to find especially with a metal detector since it gives off an iron signal.

Thank god it was lying in sand because about 5m from where I dug it there’s a nasty swamp where this star made from thin steel would get eaten up in about 10 years.

I put it in an oxalic acid solution and as you can see the enamel lightened up and the sickle&hammer got a nice shine. After that I coated it with natural wax to stop exposure to oxygen&protect it.WW2 Soviet star badge IDWW2 Soviet star badge ID