Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

18 pounder shell case.

Article about: Got this today from the local flea market, though I have never seen another which has such a deep patina of the brass, even after a polish it is still very dark green, almost black in colour

Default 18 pounder shell case.

Got this today from the local flea market, though I have never seen another which has such a deep patina of the brass, even after a polish it is still very dark green, almost black in colour. I have taken pics next to my other example which is very brassy in comparison (which used to have badges glued to it).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 18 pounder shell case.   18 pounder shell case.  

18 pounder shell case.   18 pounder shell case.  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default Re: 18 pounder shell case.

The discolouration is certainly unusual.

Made by Elswick Ordnance Company (Vickers) and filled once with a full charge.

I cannot read the manufacturer on your other case.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Thanks for the info Tony. I assume it has stood somewhere damp for the last 90 or so years.

Here is a clearer picture of the other case.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 18 pounder shell case.  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Bond View Post
    Thanks for the info Tony. I assume it has stood somewhere damp for the last 90 or so years.

Here is a clearer picture of the other case.
    This one greatly resembles the one I just bought. I wonder what the values range on these? I picked up two -- one being just a shell casing like this one and is WWII dated, the other is a 20MM Pom Pom round dated 43 and 44. The Pom pom is complete with bands and warhead and such--the other aint.

Almost looks ground dug the colour is so deep.......

Johnmcc127
    ?

Maybe you all can help. I found this at an antique shop and I'm giving it to Dad for Christmas. I found a little info but I was hoping y'all could tell me some more about its history.

The imprint details on the bottom read as follows: (outer ring)
    18 pr
    LOT639
    B.C.S.
    10/15
    CF

(Inner Ring)
    No. 1 (there is what looks like a very wide Roman numeral 1 under the "No.1")
    LOT1841
    10/15
    B.C.S.

I know it's an 18 pounder but not sure if it's WWI or II but the only thing that resembles a date is the "lot 1841."

If there's any forums I've seen that May give some help I'm sure it's this one! Thanks in advance!

John

looks to me like the date is 10 /15 so Oct 1915 you see them dated this way sometimes ,some photos would help if you can post some

Hi JerryB,
    It is a bit dark iv not seen one the colour at all,but as said could be ground dug i got hold of one last weekend for four pounds a nice 1907 issue. Minus the primer but a nice piece to go with my two complete ones. i just need to finish polishing up a bit now
    it is from Coventry Ordnance works.
    Dave.18 pounder shell case.