Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty

Article about: Hi all. Arrived today and just wanted to share some pics of my Betty. It is complete on the inside, but I’ve chosen to not strip it down as there is nice patina on the base screws underneath

Default 1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty

Hi all. Arrived today and just wanted to share some pics of my Betty. It is complete on the inside, but I’ve chosen to not strip it down as there is nice patina on the base screws underneath. What a nasty little thing these must’ve been! First time handling one and am surprised by it’s mass.

Any thoughts on the paint? With its sheen I’d imagine post-war. And it’s flakiness would allow for easy removal.

3 bolts on top not original so perhaps I should seek out replacements. But considering I paid $150 CAD I got room to manoeuvre for those bolts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty   1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty  

1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty   1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty  

1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty   1939 German S-Mine Bouncing Betty  

Looks like post war white paint to me, alot of these wartime mines were still used post war by some armys so could be a mine they have used for training etc

Hello! I had this one in the past :

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thank you Lebus! That one has a gorgeous patina! I’ve convinced myself mine is post war paint. I may try and strip it down. With the folds/wrinkles in the paint, it’s hard to determine wtf it is. Maybe a rubbery latex type paint... who knows. But I’d like it to be more authentic.

Will be purchasing replacement bolts from my friend soon and it will look much better.

I would also lose the gloss paint, hopefully the modern bolts rather same thread size as original and you can easily replace them.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I would also lose the gloss paint, hopefully the modern bolts rather same thread size as original and you can easily replace them.
    Thanks BlackCat! The replacements are originals bolts are a little pricey but I paid a good price for the mine so I’ve got wiggle room to fix it up.