Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id

Article about: Am seeking help decoding stamps on a 2 inch mortar tail fin I uncovered, from a disused rifle range used for Australian troop training during WWII: 1st & 2nd pic: the 2 inch mortar tail

satchiel
    ?

Default 2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id

Am seeking help decoding stamps on a 2 inch mortar tail fin I uncovered, from a disused rifle range used for Australian troop training during WWII:

1st & 2nd pic: the 2 inch mortar tail fin (presuming HE), either side.

3rd pic: the base of the first tail fin of interest, nearest the base cap - reads as /|\ (broad arrow) over 13, with something possibly above the broad arrow but lost to the corrosion.

4th pic: same fin, with /|\ (broad arrow) over 64, again possibly something above the broad arrow but since corroded away. Below this where the tail fin screws on to the body of the mortar (so faint I couldn't photograph adequately), there is a /|\ over 24.

5th pic: the next tail fin, with BDC 6 42 Z stamped.

6th pic: the base-cap on this tail fin is still in place, with three circles surrounding the center of the cap filled with stamps - the photo is a little sketchy, but the top left circle contains the number 41 surrounded by strikes from the "6" position to the "1" position with 9 strikes in total (does this denote 9 months into 1941 as a build date - September??). The far right circle contains the figure "4", & the bottom left circle contains what looks like a "@" inside a smaller circle, or maybe a "9" inside two circles?

Any help massively appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id   2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id  

2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id   2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id  

2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id   2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id  

Default Re: 2 inch mortar tail fin stamp id

Hi satchiel

Well let's see what I can help with....

The broad arrow is generally recognised on any military item as the symbol for the 'War Department'. Some of the other marks, especially the ones in pics 3 and 4 are likely to be quality control marks.

The BDC 6 42 Z is almost certainly as follows. BDC = maker, 6 42 = June 1942, Z = fill compound (in small arms Z usually denotes nitrocellulose).

As for the marks on the base, they are also probably manufacture date (don't forget the fin may have been manufactured separate to the 'launching charge') and a couple of quality control marks.

Hope this helps

Steve T

satchiel
    ?

I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that BDC possibly stood for Birmingham Die Casting (Co.), but can't remember where I saw it - can anyone confirm this??

?

Quote by satchiel View Post
    I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that BDC possibly stood for Birmingham Die Casting (Co.), but can't remember where I saw it - can anyone confirm this??
    I saw it ID`d on the BOCN forum as British Die Casting.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

i have also got one of these mortar fins and two the have been broken of.
    it was found at an old training ground in devon, england and the only marking i can find on it is the number 42 can anyone tell me what it means???
    Thanks !!!!

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

42 will be the year, 1942.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

thanks for your help!! i thought it might be something like the year but wasn't sure.
    this is it, by the way: Attachment 384636 Also i was wondering if that was part of a grenade next to it????

?

Attachment s not working

Attachment 384819

did it work this time???

Worked fine. It is indeed a 36 grenade base plug.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!