MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

2 Pounder Shell... Why so special?

Article about: Hello all, Has anyone seen this 2 pounder shell on eBay? It's currently at £31 WW2 - British 2 Pounder Shell - Trench Art? Vase? on eBay (end time 30-Jul-10 17:10:31 BST) Why is that one - w

Default 2 Pounder Shell... Why so special?

Hello all,

Has anyone seen this 2 pounder shell on eBay? It's currently at £31

WW2 - British 2 Pounder Shell - Trench Art? Vase? on eBay (end time 30-Jul-10 17:10:31 BST)

Why is that one - when usually they can picked up for about £5 - so special?

JD

Default Re: 2 Pounder Shell... Why so special?

JD

No idea....seems a bit steep to me as well ! I have two 2 lbers sat on the floor next to me. Lemme know if it gets to £50 and I'll put one of mine up

Steve T

?

If thats going for £30 PLUS, I wonder how much a mate of mines 88mm shell case would go for!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Theres probably something special about the stamps on the bottom of this case, that only people who collect these know about

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Theres probably something special about the stamps on the bottom of this case, that only people who collect these know about

Thanks

Danny
    This is a bit of a special case! It appears to be a shortened 40-mm (-pounder) Vickers Naval 'Pom,Pom' case fired by a British Naval Sub-Calibre training aid possibly for 16-inch Naval gun?? Smaller Sub-Calibre training rounds were used in place of the obviously more expensive 'service ammunition' to train crews and Sub-Calibres are still in use today in artillery, mortars and rocket munitions. This case has black stencilling on its sides too which you dont see very often. Other versions of this case worth looking out for are ones with the head-stamping "Vickers "S" as this indicates case or complete round used in the RAF Hurricanes Vickers "S" Anti Tank aircraft cannon of WW2! The price is a little steep though and maybe £15.00 would have been adviseable as an auction starting price-maybe with a reserve if its really that rare which it may well be as ive not see a 2-pdr 40-mm Sub Calibre quite like this before. regards, Tim.