Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

20x138B "Long Solothurn" 20 MM cannon cartridges

Article about: I just picked these up yesterday. They are in perfect condition and dated 1938 and 1941. They also have the original cardboard tubes with the name Cherbourg written on them and one cover mad

Default 20x138B "Long Solothurn" 20 MM cannon cartridges

I just picked these up yesterday. They are in perfect condition and dated 1938 and 1941. They also have the original cardboard tubes with the name Cherbourg written on them and one cover made from parachute material. I am guessing that is where they were found by a Canadian soldier who brought them home. I have a lot of ordinance and it is very rare to find anything from WWII in this condition.

Here is description I found on Anthony G Williams's web site.
    This was the second of the 20mm cannon cartridges developed by Solothurn in the 1930s, and is known as the "Long Solothurn" round. It proved far more successful than the 20x105B, being primarily used in the highly successful FlaK 30 and 38 AA guns which were extensively used by German forces in WW2 (and remained in service in some nations for decades after the war). It was also used in the KwK 30 and 38 light AFV guns, and in the Solothurn S18-1000 series anti-tank rifles.
    As well as being used in these German and Swiss weapons, it was used in the Finnish Lahti L39 anti-tank rifle and L40 AA gun, and in the Italian Breda M35 and Scotti cannon. A very wide range of ammunition was developed for this gun, including M-geschoss shells and Pzgr 40 tungsten-cored AP.

20x138B  "Long Solothurn" 20 MM cannon cartridges20x138B  "Long Solothurn" 20 MM cannon cartridges20x138B  "Long Solothurn" 20 MM cannon cartridges20x138B  "Long Solothurn" 20 MM cannon cartridges20x138B  "Long Solothurn" 20 MM cannon cartridges

Enjoy
    Burt

?

Those are in really excellent condition!

I think you will find that the "cover" of silk is in fact the propellant bag that was originally inside the case.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Thanks Tony,
    That works better than my assumption of a cover. I paid $50.00 for the pair, I think I did well on these.

Thanks
    Burt

Both are Kriegs Marine marked, so your investment is well done.

That's a nice bonus also. Thanks for the info.

Burt

mint well done.