Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

25 pounder projectile just picked up

Article about: Bought this 25 pounder from estate of an RCA gunner last week. I hope he knew what he was doing and its inert , looks like its been down the barrel !!

?

Default 25 pounder projectile just picked up

Bought this 25 pounder from estate of an RCA gunner last week. I hope he knew what he was doing and its inert , looks like its been down the barrel !!25 pounder projectile just picked up25 pounder projectile just picked up25 pounder projectile just picked up25 pounder projectile just picked up

MAP
    ?

That will do some damage. Nice!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

You bet MAP, Hopefully not to my house !!!!!

MAP
    ?

Quote by CAnnUK View Post
    You bet MAP, Hopefully not to my house !!!!!
    Ahhh you got it to deal with the gophers on the golf course........I see .........LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Is the fuse easy to open on the top ? As you say its been fired just hope it wasn't a misfire

?

Quote by kradman View Post
    Is the fuse easy to open on the top ? As you say its been fired just hope it wasn't a misfire
    I hope its not a misfire also, I have to believe that the RCA gunner who owned it and handled these things on a regular basis knew it was a safe bet. What is hard to believe is that it was fired from an artillery piece and is retrieved looking as good as it does !!

The copper driving band shows that the projectile has passed through a barrel, and the fact that the fuse is intact suggests that at least this bit has never hit anything solid. Weight the shell and then find out what a full one should weigh. If your example is much less you have nothing to worry about!

4md
    ?

This is a smoke shell, there should be a plate on the bottom . High explosive shells have a solid base and are painted buff yellow, they also have an impact fuse. Nice projectile for sure

Paul
    Last edited by 4md; 03-22-2017 at 01:04 PM.

?

Very nice 25 pounder, nice to see the markings, I have 2 HE's, one with all the markings and one not so well marked.
    YOurs was probably filled at DIL Ajax, my home town.

Dean O
    Ontario

?

Quote by 4md View Post
    This is a smoke shell, there should be a plate on the bottom . High explosive shells have a solid base and are painted buff yellow, they also have an impact fuse. Nice projectile for sure

Paul
    Hi Paul, You are correct , there is a plate on the base of the shell. Thank you !!