Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

25 Pounder shell info needed

Article about: For some time i have been looking for a 25 pounder shell. I managed to fluke one on the weekend at an antique shop. I got it for \\$40 in good original condition. Can anyone help with some inf

Default 25 Pounder shell info needed

For some time i have been looking for a 25 pounder shell. I managed to fluke one on the weekend at an antique shop. I got it for $40 in good original condition.

Can anyone help with some info on the markings weather they are Australian or british and any other info .
    Markings are....

1945 CF ( i asume thats the date of it )

25pr ( 25 pounder?)

9/43 (next to the detnator)

K2

No III

m.p.1

Here is a picture that may help...

Default Re: 25 Pounder shell info needed

Another serious question i need to know if any of the fellow Aussie members can help...
    I posted the image of this shell on face book saying finally found a ww2 25 pounder shell and all i needed was to find a head to complete it.
    Took less then 30min for a mate to mesage me saying he had one complete with a green inirt head for practice and a head he found thats red in colour$50 for the lot. Total bargin. Just really hope the "red headed" isnt live
    Is it legal to own these complete and heads or heads? Will post a picture in a tick

Here is the image. Im also not 100% sure if these are 25 pounders until i go around tonight and look... still not bad for $50

Well looks like i sorted it. Picked them up last night, green one has the tip on and is a practise. Red ones hollowed out and safe.

Took the green head off the shell and put it on my ww2 shell. The original green shell isnt ww2. its dated 1955.
    I will sell the 1955 shell and red head. Will post pictures soon

Your empty shell would appear to be a base ejecting smoke round. It held three smoke canisters that were ejected out the base. The fuze will be dated.

As for the shell itself, most of the headstamps are lot numbers and check stamps. The K2 would be the manufacturer, (Kynoch), and the date the year of manufacture.

Thanks steve, i wonderd why it was hollow. That makes sence. Im happy to now have a complete one. The shell was hard enough to find here in West oz let alone a complete one with spare head

No problems. Just dug this picture out of my files........this should tell you all you need to know

Hi... your 25 pr cartridge case is Australian. The K2 does not refer to the manufacturer. The manufacturer's symbol appears at the 3 o'clock position...in this case MC. This indicates that the case was made at Finsbury in South Australia. Nice find. Australian cases are not so common.

gavinblunt
    ?

Quote by flak 18 View Post
    Hi... your 25 pr cartridge case is Australian. The K2 does not refer to the manufacturer. The manufacturer's symbol appears at the 3 o'clock position...in this case MC. This indicates that the case was made at Finsbury in South Australia. Nice find. Australian cases are not so common.
    I have an MC manufactured case from 1943 - picked up and hidden by my great grandmother in The Hague in late 1943. See attached.

Can't help wondering what an Allied 25 Pr case was doing in Holland BEFORE D Day..6th June 1944.