Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96

Article about: G'Day from Australia, I am asking for assistance to identify what I think is a shell from a Hotchkiss anti aircraft gun, maybe from Japanese IJN type 96, 25mm AT/AA gun? Its projectile measu

RayT
    ?

Default 25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96

G'Day from Australia,
    I am asking for assistance to identify what I think is a shell from a Hotchkiss anti aircraft gun, maybe from Japanese IJN type 96, 25mm AT/AA gun?
    Its projectile measures 25 mm and the shell is 163 mm in length.
    There is a naval mark on the head as well as S 11/16 and other unusual stampings I know the Japanese used them on there ships.
    Please view the attached photos for better resources.
    Thanks
    Ray
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96   25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96  

Default Re: 25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96

Quote by RayT View Post
    G'Day from Australia,
    I am asking for assistance to identify what I think is a shell from a Hotchkiss anti aircraft gun, maybe from Japanese IJN type 96, 25mm AT/AA gun?
    Its projectile measures 25 mm and the shell is 163 mm in length.
    There is a naval mark on the head as well as S 11/16 and other unusual stampings I know the Japanese used them on there ships.
    Please view the attached photos for better resources.
    Thanks
    Ray
    Gday there mate! What you have there is most deffinately a 25x163 French Hotchkiss case as used by the Japs in WW2 in their Naval and some Army based Anti Aircraft guns. This French designed weapon was let down by its poor angle of elevation and low capacity ammo mags which meant it could not elevate high enough in some cases to engage attacking aircraft diving from directly above. The low capacity of ammo mags meant that any high rate of fire was severely hindered. The French did retain a few on the outbreak of WW2 but were soon captured by the Germans. It seems the Japanese were the only major users of this weapon and its cartridge. The Anchor symbol is that used on Japanese Navy ordnance and confirms it as Jap Navy for sure. German versions have the calibre designation 2.5cm impressed as part of the headstamp, but ive never come across one of these German versions as yet. Thats a nice case mate and hope your having better weather than we are here in UK. Regards, Tim.

Here's a complete round that has been inerted and the base of another, empty hull. A 20MM projectile for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96   25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96  

Attached Images Attached Images 25 x 163 French Hotchkiss – aka IJN type 96 

RayT
    ?

G'Day Tim,
    Thanks for the information on the Hotchkiss shell, it was handed down from my grandfather.
    The weather here is mild and we could do with more rain.
    Thanks again Tim
    Regards Ray

RayT
    ?

Hi Slick Rick,
    Thanks for showing the photo's, maybe one day I could get lucky and come across a 25 mm projectile and bring the shell back to a complete round.
    All the best
    Ray