Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

28lb No5 Mk1 Practice Bomb. Harrier / Jaguar / Tornado?

Article about: My mum has been using this as a doorstop for years. I was around there today so I took a few pics.

Default 28lb No5 Mk1 Practice Bomb. Harrier / Jaguar / Tornado?

My mum has been using this as a doorstop for years. I was around there today so I took a few pics.

28lb No5 Mk1 Practice Bomb. Harrier / Jaguar / Tornado?28lb No5 Mk1 Practice Bomb. Harrier / Jaguar / Tornado?28lb No5 Mk1 Practice Bomb. Harrier / Jaguar / Tornado?28lb No5 Mk1 Practice Bomb. Harrier / Jaguar / Tornado?

Default Re: 28lb No5 Mk1 Practice Bomb. Harrier / Jaguar / Tornado?

Nice. Bet that got some visitors attention.

You've got one hell of a mom. Mine gets uneasy whenever there is a gun in the house. Even if its ~100 yrs old and shoots obsolete ammo. What's the history/ use of the No. 5 Mk 1?

Quote by milcollector84 View Post
    You've got one hell of a mom. Mine gets uneasy whenever there is a gun in the house. Even if its ~100 yrs old and shoots obsolete ammo. What's the history/ use of the No. 5 Mk 1?
    She has her moments I'm not overly familiar with this item, but I'm pretty sure it was used with RAF Jaguar / Tornado / Harrier Jets from 1970's to 1990's. It's a weighted practice bomb that pops out a puff of smoke and spark from the tail when it hits the ground. It looks like this one was dropped at least once from a plane as the fins are a bit deformed. Some joker wrote 'first class bagdad' (sic) on it. I think it has the same aerodynamic properties as some larger bombs, 1000lb etc.

Nice one Krad. It would have had a plastic nose cap on it when in use, there used to be a few kicking around Cosford in some of the storage areas at one time.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

It replicates the ballistic properties of a 1000lb slic bomb. The 3 Kg practice bomb could be fitted with a plate on the back to replicate the properties of a retarded 1000lb bomb. I have a plastic cap at work but I'm not sure if its for a 3kg, 14Kg or 28lb.

This link gives some data on the 3 and 14 Kg modern replacements
    http://www.portav.com/docs/downloads...b.pdf?sfvrsn=5