Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

303 drill rounds

Article about: Just thought I would show a couple of picture's of some 303 drill rounds I have.

Default Re: 303 drill rounds

Hi,
    what ever memati said you know it makes sence, lol nice rounds there i love the wood heads dont see many about but would like some for the collecion.
    dave,

I am not sure how hard they are to find I have not seen any for a while, here are some German 7.92 rounds I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 303 drill rounds  
    Attached Images Attached Images 303 drill rounds  303 drill rounds 

Nice

I have a complete belt of 7.92's all with wooden heads, and all the same maker dated 1938 (200 in all)

I found a drill round like the ones in the third picture with the red paint on the sides. I found it in a school yard while metal detecting.. gave me a scare at first..

whittiejp,
    Do you know anything of the History of what the school was used for?
    Regards to all, Simon.

The school was demolished and was almost a hundred years old. The drill round was found in the front yard about 6 inches down.

whittiejp,
    I wonder how it got there. And on its own, no others about?
    Reagrds, Simon.

Apparently from what I was told they used to have pracrtice drills on local school yards. This was the only one I found.. When I went back to search the rear yard, the site was completely fenced off and please with the school board and construction company were turned down..

?

Another old post I found of interest.

The wood bulleted rounds in the first picture are "Cartridge S.A. Dummy Drill .303 inch Mark III", introduced inmay 1903 and remained in service throughout WWI. The other silvered rounds are "Cartridge S.A. Dummy Drill .303 inch Mark VI", introduced in July 1917 and in service through WW2. The spitzer wood bulleted rounds in Post #6 are "Cartridge S.A. Drill .303 inch D Mark VIII" introduced in October 1941 as an expedient round for training the expanding army.

The drill round found in the school yard could either have come as suggested, from perhaps Territorials or Home Guard drilling there, or if it was a secondary school it may have had an OTC or Cadet Corps. We had hundreds of .303 inch drill rounds in the armoury at our school in the fifties and sixties.

Also, be aware that the wood bulleted German rounds (although one headstamp is actually Belgian) are NOT drill rounds but live blanks which can be lethal at sgort range.
    Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Thanks Tony, I think ti was cadets practicing.. In a local park that same year I found an army type paracute carabiner or something so we must have had home guard or military exercises at some point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2