Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

.303 with plastic bullets

Article about: I found this box at a gunshow this weekend. FN 52 head stamps. This is the second box of FN ammo I've seen from the 50s, the other one was for a Bren gun, it said on the box. Would this have

Default Re: .303 with plastic bullets

Holy crap, I can see where people got killed by that, rubber or not. That thing's huge. We never got to use anything like that when I was in, it was more tear gas and batons. Thank you, that clears up alot for me.

Yeah, Rubber bullets have been around for a long time. They mess people up! They are damn deadly.

?

I believe there were also PLASTIC riot control rounds of the same calibre as the rubber ones, they were more dense and tended not to bounce as well

Hi Dave,
    Yeah you right, the one i show is the older type, they did a fair bit of damage then the blunted one came into service. they dont bounce as well as the rubber one, but still do the job.
    Dave.

?

Would a rubber round of that enormous caliber be capable of penetrating a body, or is it the sheer kinetic impact and 'knock down' power that does the damage?

Not designed to penetrate but to pass on a heavy blow to the body-can break bones and cause damage to internal organs especially at close ranges-not 'non lethal' just less so than ball ammo-you get similar shotgun rubber ball and bean bag ammo for riot control these days as well.

?

Rubber or plastic rounds were designed to be fired at the ground just in front of any rioting crowds, they would bounce up into the legs and could cause extensive bruising or could break a bone, they could become lethal if fired directly at someones head, and obviously many were abused and fired at the body

Yes - the effects of a British baton round hitting in the face or heart area of the rib cage are pretty bad.

The .303 the OP posted is an indoor training round, no?
    I have shot the blue plastic breakaway 9mm (the end and case were plastic, breaking at the neck when it was fired) version here a few times - they use them on indoor ranges where live rounds are impractical.

After seeing a real baton round, I'm much more inclined to think these were for training purposes, especially since they made them in 2 other calibers. I know the Norwegians had some 9mm rounds with low powered plastic bullets, but they had a metal BB in the nose. They had to change out the springs in the semi-autos so they would still function properly. I'm glad I was able to add another .303 something to my collection. Thanks for all your input and information, it's very much appreciated

Yes, I believe those were the ones I used, I seem to remember something about a BB in the tip, too.
    They were bright blue, right?
    Found this:
    DAG training ammo and Üb Training Bolt

Yes - your's is a new .303 training round for me - I've never seen one before.

Pit.

Have you seen the paint capsule 5.56mm marker rounds the Sheriff's dept. uses. They're "internally telescoping" to allow semi-auto use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast