MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?

Article about: Hello, All! I posted this in my latest "antique store finds" thread, but I was hoping I could post it here as well to get a more definitive answer as to what it is. I bought this d

Default 75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?

Hello, All!

I posted this in my latest "antique store finds" thread, but I was hoping I could post it here as well to get a more definitive answer as to what it is.

I bought this dummy round (brass casing, wooden tip) at a hole-in-the-wall antique/ militaria shop in Ticonderoga, NY. The owner of the shop claimed it is a WW2 Sherman Tank training round... something trainees could use to familiarize themselves with the 75mm cannon on the tank without the heft or danger of using a live 75mm shell. The price was right, and it certainly looks period to me, so I took a chance.

What do you guys think of it?

The head stamp reads:
    The primer is marked: U.S. 18 1425-284

Around the primer is marked: 75mm GUN (FLAMING BOMB LOGO) LOT 1272 - 19 E.M.C.

Also, very faintly marked is: OT P9512 - 5 8

SO! What is this? Pre or post WWII?

Default Re: 75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?

Looks like a M4 sherman drill round to me I like it.
    This one is not wood but the stamp is very close I found this pic on the net so there is no more that I have.
    Eric
    75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    Looks like a M4 sherman drill round to me I like it.
    This one is not wood but the stamp is very close I found this pic on the net so there is no more that I have.
    Eric
    Thanks Eric! I guess I am just a little concerned because I don't see anything on the headstamp that corresponds with a WWII date.

After looking further Joe I think I am wrong. I(do) think it is a good ww2 shell but I think the head has been added to the shell post war for looks.
    The dimples on the brass to hold the (wood) head would not hold up to military use IMO. I looked at my drill rounds and the are made very heavy duty with bolts I could be wrong and I still like it.
    Here are some pics of my drill rounds and only one is marked date of 44 but I think they are all ww2 though.

Eric
    75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?75mm Sherman Tank Dummy Rnd?

Hi Eric, Thanks for taking the time to check into this for me!

I do sincerely respect and appreciate your opinion.

You can't really tell from the pictures I took, but the wooden tip seems really well made, and is shaped perfectly. This leads me to believe that it was made by a factory for the military, or if you're right, the person who made the tip postwar was an expert with a wood lathe.

The dimples do look rinky dinky, but the wooden tip seems to run the whole length of the shell and is held in tightly! The owner of the shop I bought this from actually tipped it over before handing it over to me for inspection, and I must admit that while trying to figure out if this thing is legit, I have not actually been completely gentle with it. I've tugged and tried to twist out the tip but it's completely stuck on there!

I am by no means an expert, and you have tons more experience than me, but I still feel like this saw military service as a dummy training round.

What ever it is Joe I still like it as i said, but I have done much more elaborate items on a lathe in 9th grade shop class and that shape and size would be nothing IMO.
    But I still hope it is the real deal for you.

Eric

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    What ever it is Joe I still like it as i said, but I have done much more elaborate items on a lathe in 9th grade shop class and that shape and size would be nothing IMO.
    But I still hope it is the real deal for you.

Eric
    I see what you mean... I have to realize that not everyone is a total idiot around power tools like I am. I'm surprised I still have all my fingers after woodshop!

?

Joe im no expert but i thought that any dummy round was marked in some way as a safety feature, i also thought that ordnance was date marked in some way, im wondering if the 58 shown on the base of your round is the date

Hi Dave if you look at my pics that will show not all are marked dummy I think the wood gives it away as a drill round anyway.

Eric

?

Oh yes i fully agree, the reason why i said this is that i dont know if a different colour was used for dummy rounds for quick identification

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast