Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID

Article about: Hi all. I ahve recently come across a piece of a shell , the bace or detonator housing , Im a bit confused cause i cant fut my finger on it.. the markings sugest its a 8.8cm KWK 43 . the rea

Default Re: 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID

Matt,

That's absolutely true. You have to pull them out of a relic KTiger before you are sure. Up to than i keep these as KWK43's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID  

Hello guys,

I was wondering if I could get any of you to weigh your PzGr.39/43 projectiles? I need some accurate weight figures. thekees has already been a super help by weighing a great deal of his projectiles, even providing serial numbers, and I have great faith in his figures as being the absolutes. But to be absolutely certain of the average weight I need measurements taken with other scales as-well.

The thing I need to investigate is how much extra weight the wider driving bands of the PzGr.39/43 added over the PzGr.39-1 which weighed on average 10.2 kg. According to US TM 9 1985 53 the weight of the PzGr.39/43 is 10.34 kg (22.8 lbs).

?

I wish I could help as I have an 8,8cm Pzgr. 39/1 in excellent condition, however the only scale I have only goes up to 5kg.

I have an early pzgr 39 with the small drivebands. Will check it this weekend.

im not into large calibre german rounds myself so apologise if these are the wrong drawings but thought they might be of interest or use to you folks,,
    if not just ask admin to delete the post
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID   8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID  

8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID   8.8cm KWK 43 ?? Tiger shell? help needed to ID  

Hi Spotter,

I have those drawings, but something is off on the PzGr.39/43 drawing, both the size & weight figures are incorrect. The PzGr.39/43 is of exactly the same design as the PzGr.39-1 except for the addition of wider driving bands. So the weight should be atleast the same as the PzGr.39-1 at 10.2 kg, and more likely even higher. According to US TM 9 1985 3 German ordinance manual the weight of the PzGr.39-1 is 22.5 lbs (10.2 kg) and the PzGr.39/43 is 22.8 lbs (10.34 kg). That the weight actually increased is proven again by thekees measurements, his PzGr.39/43's actually weighing 10.2 to 10.4 kg even without the fuze.

Thekees,

Try putting the PzGr.39 on one side and the PzGr.39/43 on the other side of the scale. Then we can see for sure which one is the heaviest. And if you then switch it around, left to right, right to left with each shell then we can rule out scale errors.

And again, many thanks for the help, it truly is invaluable. I owe you big time for all the help you've given me so far.

Matt L,

Yeah it doesn't seem like many people own scales which can measure up to 20 kg accurately. It's a real problem for my research as I want to be sure the figures are 100% accurate. But I do have great confidents in thekees scale as it's a pivot scale, the most accurate scales there are and also the most simple really.

Anyway if you can find a way to measure its weight I will be most thankful

?

If it ever happens that I have access to a suitable scale, I will
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Super Matt, thank you. Doesn't matter if it reads in kilos or pounds either.

Hi guys, I've sent an email to Bovington asking for their help on the matter. I'll update you guys on their response as soon as it comes

Any progress with the weighing of the Panzergranaten thekees?

Hi guys,

Got the response from the Bovington Tank Museum, but sadly they didn't have a manual for the KwK43 gun, and they could only direct me toward a few well known books. Darn it :/

On the positive side I found out which documents it is I need:

1. D 2030 – 8,8 cm Panzerjägerkanone 43/2 (L/71), Beschreibung, 28.1.1944.

2. H.Dv. 119/328 – Schußtafel für die 8,8 cm Kampfwagenkanone 36 (L/56) (8,8 cm Kw.K. 36), Februar 1944.

3. H.Dv. 119/329 – Vorläufige Schußtafel für die 8,8 cm Kampfwagenkanone 43 (L/71) (8,8 cm Kw.K 43), 8,8 cm Panzerjägerkanone 43/1 (L/71) (8,8 cm Pak 43/1), 8,8 cm Panzerjägerkanone 43/2 (L/71) (8,8 cm Pak 43/2), 8,8 cm Panzerjägerkanone 43/3 (L/71) (8,8 cm Pak 43/3) und 8,8 cm Panzerjägerkanone 43/41 (L/71) (8,8 cm Pak 43/41), Juni 1943 mit eingearbeiteten Deckblättern Nr. 1 bis 9 (Ausgabe 1944).

Problem is I can't find anyone who has these :/ Oh well, search goes on.

In the mean time did you get to weigh your PzGr.39-1 thekees?

PS: Guys take a look see at this site, discovered it just recently, absolutely excellent IMO :
    http://www.panther1944.de/index.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2