Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

88mm Tiger round !!

Article about: Guys , I believe that this is in fact an 8,8 cm Pzgr 39 ? cheers Paul

?

Default Re: 88mm Tiger round !!

Actually, maybe for future usefulness of this thread, I should re-post it here:

88mm Tiger round !!

That's a C/22 electric primer specifically used by tank guns since they had electrical ignition firing systems- the Flak and Artillerie used standard percussion firing pins so they used a percussion primer, the C/12, which is just flat with no additonal elements.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Thanks Matt , that clears it up !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

You bet Paul- I wish the news had been better, but it's still a nice early Pzgr. 39- they're rather less-common than the 39/1 so far as I've seen.

apparently there was a somewhat " laisser-faire " attitude with regard to rounds carried and used in Tiger tanks. pic of HE round with sintered iron driving bands.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 88mm Tiger round !!   88mm Tiger round !!  

88mm Tiger round !!  

?

But given that it had its own special rounds, and didn't just use Flak rounds with electric primers, it doesn't seem as if that's the case at all- no? Sintered iron driving bands were present on all large rounds- it was due to copper being a strategic metal; only very early ones had the Kupferstahl (marked Kps on the shell) bands. It certainly wasn't a matter of just using whatever or otherwise not being picky for 'Tiger use' I have KwK 40, KwK 42, KwK 43 rounds, and all have sintered iron driving bands...

don't know that much about them really.just quoting something I read in a book. It was one of those "bargain basement" opportunities that come along every once in a while. there was another round at the time, but the case was brass, prewar dated with a percussion primer. also, the fuse fitted had a dented nosecap, so I opted for this one, which on the day appeared to be a better proposition.

?

Ah, okay if that's what the text suggested, it's wrong LOL

That case could indeed be for a tank but it's hard to demonstrate that the primer has always been with it or is just a later addition; they're available loose, so unfortunately unless the case markings are visible and the '8,8cm KwK 36' can be read, or the primer is clearly corroded in place, there's no way to be sure. That Sprgr. projectile has been refinished and the fuze is incorrect (color is wrong, driving bands weren't originally painted, no ink markings, etc.)- likely it's a flak round with an added primer. Given how much Flak ammunition was used vs. Tiger ammunition, the sheer weight of numbers (probably tens of thousands to one) places the liklihood of any given round being Flak, not Tiger.

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Actually, maybe for future usefulness of this thread, I should re-post it here:

88mm Tiger round !!

That's a C/22 electric primer specifically used by tank guns since they had electrical ignition firing systems- the Flak and Artillerie used standard percussion firing pins so they used a percussion primer, the C/12, which is just flat with no additonal elements.
    Here is a C/12 primer from a brass 6347 'G' dated casing... they recycled...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3