Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

90mm projectile and casing

Article about: Hi evryone, My name is Dave. I purchased this item at auction and would like to know exactly what I have. The projectile is dated 1952 and the casing is 1953. My google search led me to this

Default 90mm projectile and casing

Hi evryone, My name is Dave. I purchased this item at auction and would like to know exactly what I have. The projectile is dated 1952 and the casing is 1953. My google search led me to this post https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ordin...jectile-13586/ . The projectile looks to be identical but my casing looks to be a fair bit longer.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks , Dave

Dave90mm  projectile and casing
    Last edited by Willythickfoot; 10-21-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Default Re: 90mm projectile and casing

Anyone?

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum!

What are the exact marking to the base of the shell case? A pic would be good.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade. I made a mistake on my first post. The casing is dated 1958. 90mm T94E5, LOT-FA-E-426. The brass is 26 1/2 inches long. I'm afraid I cant get a clear pic of the markings on the brass. I dropped my camera and it will not focus now. The projectile is marked LOT YCC-1-14-HEP 90MM-T142E3 1952.

Thanks again, Dave

Doesnt look like this HEP is the right projectile my casing. Here is a photo I found with a casing like mine and a sabot . It's a 90MM APFSDS Projectile.

90mm  projectile and casing90mm  projectile and casing

That looks a more logical fit.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

apfsds
    ?

Hey Dave!

Nice round. I am the guy who owns the APFSDS version you posted photos of. The one you are holding is interesting. The projectile and case definitely do not belong together. The projectile is a US tank projectile but it is supposed to be crimped in a 90MM M19 case not the one it is currently in. If the case you are holding is indeed a US manufactured case then it was never actually used in tanks. The US experimented briefly with Russian style tank cases which look like yours with long necks. It never went anywhere here in the US. This style case is primarily used in Russian tanks and came in 115MM and 90MM. If you like, I'd be happy to help you find the correct, empty M19 case to match your projectile so you can have a complete, INERT display?

Jason

Hi Jason, thanks for your reply.I would very much like to find the proper case for this projectile. I would love to find a sabot like yours but I wont hold my breath. I have a couple friends that are talented on a lathe and think one of them could make up something for me for display purposes. Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.

Dave

apfsds
    ?

Hey Dave,

Send me an e-mail to my address jabels@mindspring.com. I will send you some photos you may find interesting. I am going to ask around to locate you the correct M19 90MM case to match your projectile. I specialize in collecting 100% INERT tank fired DS artifacts and that particular 90MM APFSDS-T projectile is EXTREMELY rare as it never went anywhere so very few were made.

Jason

Message sent. Thanks