Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ammo 30mm?

Article about: Hey guys Can any tell me what this ammo is for? somone said to me it from a sweedish Dragen jet-fighter cannon??

Default Re: Ammo 30mm?

I dont think the Harriers ever got fitted with the 30mm Adens. I only started to work on Harrier gunpods in 2003 and they hadn't been fitted for years before that judging by their condition. If they had used a 30mm in those pods, they would have fallen apart!

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I dont think the Harriers ever got fitted with the 30mm Adens. I only started to work on Harrier gunpods in 2003 and they hadn't been fitted for years before that judging by their condition. If they had used a 30mm in those pods, they would have fallen apart!
    Sea Harriers in use with the Fleet Air Arm continue to use the 30mm Aden but someone said only one gun pod fitted and not two??? Its shame the system used on the US AV-8B Harrier could not be adapted to the RAF Harrier as the 25mm cannon was smaller in calibre but much increased muzzle velocity and kinetic energy at the target, and of course higher rate of fire being a Gat.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    Sea Harriers in use with the Fleet Air Arm continue to use the 30mm Aden but someone said only one gun pod fitted and not two??? Its shame the system used on the US AV-8B Harrier could not be adapted to the RAF Harrier as the 25mm cannon was smaller in calibre but much increased muzzle velocity and kinetic energy at the target, and of course higher rate of fire being a Gat.
    Forgot to note 25mmx137 ammunition manufactured for the British Aden 25 were manufactured in the UK by the BMARCo company. They have "BM" on their headstampings whereas 25mm rounds manufactured by Oerlikon have the "Oe" on their headstamping. Its bit confusing as both rounds are identical apart from headstamping variations and would have been interchangeable.

Quote by Falschirmjager View Post
    I didn't have much to do with sea Harrier, but I know it did have two pods as we had a Harmonisation rig for both. Also, the pods were required to give the correct downward thrust in the hover. Of course, Sea Harrier has now been sold off or mothballed and the GR5/7 pods have now been scrapped (Hence why I was posted off Harriers) and replaced with strakes on the GR9. A real shame, if the Harrier had the Straffing capability in Afghan, I'm sure it would have ticked all the boxes. Now, its only got a few years left.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I didn't have much to do with sea Harrier, but I know it did have two pods as we had a Harmonisation rig for both. Also, the pods were required to give the correct downward thrust in the hover. Of course, Sea Harrier has now been sold off or mothballed and the GR5/7 pods have now been scrapped (Hence why I was posted off Harriers) and replaced with strakes on the GR9. A real shame, if the Harrier had the Straffing capability in Afghan, I'm sure it would have ticked all the boxes. Now, its only got a few years left.
    I agree with you there 100%! The Harrier would have been a very usefull CAS tool in Afghanistan and the old 30mm Aden would have been more than able to do the job. Shame its lifespan has virtually ended isnt it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2