Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Another Rare Find Canadian 3.7 AA Cardboard Box from DIL Ajax Ontario Canada

Article about: Well here is a very rare find, These are the remains of a DIL Ajax 3.7 AA "Shell" box. Ajax DIL ( Defense Industries Limited) was one of, if not the largest shell filling plants in

?

Default Another Rare Find Canadian 3.7 AA Cardboard Box from DIL Ajax Ontario Canada

Well here is a very rare find, These are the remains of a DIL Ajax 3.7 AA "Shell" box.
    Ajax DIL ( Defense Industries Limited) was one of, if not the largest shell filling plants in WW2, we supplied the Canadian Army, the UK the Russians and China during WW2. I have not figured out the correct purpose of this box, but at this time I think it was the delivery of the projectiles from the maker to the Ajax filling plant. These were found in a war time house and were used for insulation!!!
    As I donate many items to my local archives, they let me have these items.

Just so rare and thankfully the fellow doing the renos did not throw them out, but took the time to show our archives.
    This just goes to show, that sometimes when you help others out, it may come back to you, that is not the reason I make donations, I do it to save History so others can learn or enjoy it
    It is nice when something does come back!!!

Dean
    Ajax Canada
    Home of DILAnother Rare Find Canadian 3.7 AA Cardboard Box from DIL Ajax Ontario CanadaAnother Rare Find Canadian 3.7 AA Cardboard Box from DIL Ajax Ontario CanadaAnother Rare Find Canadian 3.7 AA Cardboard Box from DIL Ajax Ontario CanadaAnother Rare Find Canadian 3.7 AA Cardboard Box from DIL Ajax Ontario CanadaAnother Rare Find Canadian 3.7 AA Cardboard Box from DIL Ajax Ontario Canada

Fantastic find, Didn't realise they packaged 3.7's in cardboard boxes. Are all the boards from one box? can you piece it back together? Cheers Gary

?

When they declared all heavy tube AA Guns obsolete in the 1950's there must have been thousands of 3.7" rounds in war reserve stocks. Most presumably must have been dumped in the Irish Sea and the propellant burnt.

The famous underground storage depot at Monkton Farleigh is not far from where I live and when that was cleared they were burning propellant in pits on site for months.