Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any ideas what these headstamps mean?

Article about: Heres a couple more of my finds from my secret site both are .303 but the bottoms are different, the one which hasnt had the primer struck looks quite unusual to me. The markings on it are:

Default Any ideas what these headstamps mean?

Heres a couple more of my finds from my secret site both are .303 but the bottoms are different, the one which hasnt had the primer struck looks quite unusual to me. The markings on it are: KN C VI. The second round which has been fired is almost un-readable, but from what i can make out there is: 8-37 VII and possibly a K 'broad arrow' F. So does anyone have any ideas? And just for the record these were found at a site which is no longer in use by the MOD and hasnt been for quite some time

Thanks in advance

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas what these headstamps mean?   Any ideas what these headstamps mean?  

Any ideas what these headstamps mean?  

Default Re: Any ideas what these headstamps mean?

Danny

I have always assumed the K (arrow) F was the Indian Government Ammo factory Kirkee (also referred to as Kirkee Arsenal), near Poona in India. The VII denotes standard ball round and the 8-37 is the month and year of manufacture.

Your KN case is Kings Norton Metal Co., Birmingham. They made the cartridge cases here and shipped them to Abbey Wood Factory (next to the Woolwich Arsenal) for filling.The VI I also have always presumed stood for a Mk 6 ball round and the 'C' for cordite.

But I could be wrong about all of it These cartridges with symbols instead of letters always drive me nuts

Oh.....and both are 303's by the way

Cheers

Steve T

Spot on Steve Nothing to add, except the mark 6 is a rare old bird

Thanks for the info guys these have actually been surface finds I wonder what will turn up once I bring my detector with me

Thanks

Danny