Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Artillery projectile identification (suspect American and WWII)

Article about: Found Artillery - Imgur Found this artillery shell while metal detecting on a populated beach in St. Augustine, FL. On the same quarter mile stretch of beach, I've also found several 50 cal

MMDeveloper
    ?

Question Artillery projectile identification (suspect American and WWII)

Found Artillery - Imgur

Found this artillery shell while metal detecting on a populated beach in St. Augustine, FL. On the same quarter mile stretch of beach, I've also found several 50 cal rounds in parallel rows as if the beach had been strafed at one point. I understand the dangers and those have been repeated to me on several sites, I just want to know what this came from.
    • This shell is 8.5" long
    • The rear of the shell is 2 15/16" in diameter
    • The nose of the shell is 2 3/8" in diameter
    • The inside of the nose is threaded and is 1 5/8" inside diameter
    • The rifled portion is brass and is 3 1/8" in diameter

These measurements are not exact as rust may be throwing them off a little. The overall composition of this item appears to be steel with a brass rifling ring. It's pretty heavy but not heavy enough to make me think it's solid steel.

There are markings on the "head stamp" area, some of which are legible. In no particular order, I can make out these markings:
    • DOD 638 37
    • MOD 2K-HW 00
    • 876 LBS
    • COM FL WAA

It's pretty corroded so I wrote down what I THINK some of the letters are. There are other markings stamped on it but too corroded to make out.
    Last edited by MMDeveloper; 07-02-2014 at 01:59 AM.

1st of all, just because the nose cone has been removed does not mean that the contents of the shell are also removed. It could well still have a charge inside. Old timers used to figure if you removed the nose, that it was safe, but it's not. This is a 3 inch shell and could well contain enough high explosive to make you have a Really Bad Day. The older explosives get, the more unstable they become. I would Strongly Suggest that you contact the local authorities and have them come remove it. A 3 inch shell could quite easily destroy a modern house if it would detonate, and I would not want to own a house on either side, as well.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Pictures??? And yes it could have been some of the stuffed dumped aftre the war or from a ship out to sea. I would take the above advise.
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/