Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Az23 fuze help

Article about: I have a az 23 fuze . I am confused about what type of shell it went with. Some sources say 75mm, 88m and 105mm and higher. While othes say it wasn't used on 88mm's .My question is , was the

?

Default Az23 fuze help

I have a az 23 fuze . I am confused about what type of shell it went with. Some sources say 75mm, 88m and 105mm and higher. While othes say it wasn't used on 88mm's .My question is , was the az 23 used on 88's . I have seen a small version of a az 23 which could be mixed up with the bigger az 23 if thats the case. Az23 fuze helpAz23 fuze helpAz23 fuze help

It definitely was a multipurpose fuse made in large quantities. I know they were used for 88mm and higher for sure. I'm not sure of the 75mm as the warheads are somewhat a bit rare here in the US.

Lightbulb

There are various types of AZ23, which was a nose percussion fuze for HE shells. Those used with 88mm were often marked AZ23/28. AZ23s were also used for the 75mm HE - I have one in my collection.

Clearly visible in your photo is the screw-head for adjusting the delayed-action setting ; from 'superquick' ( OV = Ohne Versoegerung ) to 'delay' ( MV = mit Versoegurung ). These equated to instantaneous or a delay of 0.11 second.

There were essentially 3 different types of fuses for the 88. Zt. Z. S/30 spring wound timed fuse (30 second), Zt Z. S/30 Fg inertia operated fuse (30 second) and finally yours the AZ 23/28. The first two were used mostly in the anti aircraft role and could be quickly calibrated by the fire control unit using a fuse setter which could cut the fuse to the desired time. I believe the AT round had a base detonation fuse of some sort with a 0 sec delay. Maybe Martin can elaborate more on that one?

Lightbulb

That's right. The AP shells have a BdZ or Bodenzunder - base fuze. This is armed by the rotation of the shell and initiated on impact. There is a fractional delay in order to explode the shell immediately it has penetrated the armour plate.

( BTW, there's an informative section on all these fuzes as well as the shells themselves in the US War Department's Technical Manual of 88MM Antiaircraft Gun Materiel from 29 June 1943, which I believe may be available as a reprint ).

is there explosives inside? They are very dangerous..

?

Gee this really is an old thread of mine hahahah.

Nah mate there is no explosives inside. All my ordnance is inert

?

By the way: Zt. Z. S/30 were still used until the 70ties on 100mm French navy inert/drill shells.