Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Berlin Tempelhof find

Article about: Not two months ago a German EOD team was vaporized while trying to defuse an American 1000GP bomb. This was a task they had done probably 100s of times... this time their luck ran out. EOD i

Default Re: Berlin Tempelhof find

Not two months ago a German EOD team was vaporized while trying to defuse an American 1000GP bomb. This was a task they had done probably 100s of times... this time their luck ran out. EOD is discovered every day... Estimated millions of piece of deadly junk yet to find... and it grows more unstable every day.

I just dug up the article... Sobering. War leaves its trace...

Did anyone ever figure out just what it is,griffner? It sure doesn't look like anything familiar that I can tell-could be it's simply something as innocuous as an old car part? William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Unfortunately, I left Berlin without being able to pick it up again. Since I buried it near where I found it, I'll pick it up next year when I visit again :/ I should've just slipped it into my bag!

That reminds me of that mineshaft that exploded during a lightning storm a few years ago,hassiman. From WWI and stuffed with explosives, and still as deadly as it was back in 1918. Apparently,there's Several More of these sapper's tunnels that no one knows exactly Where they are anymore-all still ready to "go"-maybe under some poor farmers house or who knows where. The one I remember hearing about blew a hole in the man's farm field big enough to look like a good sized lake! They said when the others that Did blow up when they were supposed to went off, they Heard it in London and saw the flash on the horizon. Scarey stuff-and there's things like it All over the world-even in the US from the Civil War and older. Brrr... William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

gpf
    ?

Could you post some pictures of what the airfield looks like today?

Here are a few pics of the airport park today, all taken by me this year and last year.

Exclamation Re: Berlin Tempelhof find

Wow... so all of the old Tempelhof buildings are still there...
    A friend of mine who was statuioned there after the war told me of how the Berliners would line the runway at Tempelhof with their valuble gods like antiques such a grandfather clocks etc. These they would barter for cash or food. He and another pilot were trying to decided between 2 grandfather clocks. Always being thrifty he chose the cheaper one (which he still has today)... When the 2 clocks were being disassembled for shipment the clock he did NOT purchase was found to have counterweights in which solid gold had been melted and poured for concealment... about 20 pounds of pure 24 carat solid gold. The new owner was thrilled.

Guys i've seen a couple of these 'projectiles' before but I think it might actually be a tooth from a tarmac ripper, maybe used to lift old runway surfaces.

Regards

Go to BOCN web page and type in tarmac into the search engine and there is a similar one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2