Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best WW1 British I have!!!

Article about: That is an absolute cracker, and it must have set you back quite a few quid as well! I had a similar one some years ago that was also mint. The case was in copper, the streamers had never be

?

Default Best WW1 British I have!!!

Just got this one today, it is the best single piece of Ordnance I now have in my collection. Not only very rare, but as you can see the condition is second to none!!!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Best WW1 British I have!!!Best WW1 British I have!!!Best WW1 British I have!!!Best WW1 British I have!!!

?

That is outstanding.

?

Looks to be in excellent shape for WW1. I honestly don't know what it is.. If you would be so kind Dean as to give me a lesson in WW1 British ordnance. I would be greatly appreciative.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Looks to be in excellent shape for WW1. I honestly don't know what it is.. If you would be so kind Dean as to give me a lesson in WW1 British ordnance. I would be greatly appreciative.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    very nice Dean but even thou im British I like Phil dont have a clue either............

?

Sorry Guys, I was so happy to get this I forgot to mention what it is.

This is a Very Rare Hales No1 Mk1 Hand Grenade. they came in 3 Mks, this, with the thinner shrapnel "ring" is the Mk1.
    The streamers help stabilize it in flight.. A few problems with it in the Trenches, if you went to throw it, and as you put your arm back to throw it, you could hit the back of the trench..then... BOOM!!
    They had an impact fuse on them, so they had to hit the enemy "nose" on to make it go off, if not, it could be thrown back
    I have also seen photos of them being dropped early in the War from aircraft.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

It appears to be one of these, very nice and very rare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Best WW1 British I have!!!  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

DUH!!!! I have a WW1 Canadian Grenade Throwers hand written manual with all the original blue prints for the Grenades used up to late 1916. This one is in that book, I should have posted a photo of the blue print!!

Dean O

?

Hi Dean a very nice pick up indeed nice to see near all the ribbons are still intact but is this not a Grenade No #1 Mk II as it has been fitted with the smaller wood handle to make for easier throwing from inside the trenches or is the throwing handle on the Mk II & III shorter.

I found this site rather interesting ( British WW1 No1 grenade )

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark K; 05-11-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add external link

?

Fascinating piece Dean, Thanks for sharing with us. I love seeing these kind of pieces and learning about them for the first time! I would not like to be the bloke having to hurl that at the enemy never mind being on the receiving end of it lol. Cheers, Sean.

Imagine the German soldier trying to catch it... Mental.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast