Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade

Article about: Blendkorper 2 H Used by the Germans as a smoke screen before attaching mines to oncoming Tank tracks among other uses. The grenade consists of a pear-shaped, glass outer flask, resembling a

Default Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade

Blendkorper 2 H Used by the Germans as a smoke screen before attaching mines to oncoming Tank tracks among other uses.
    The grenade consists of a pear-shaped, glass outer flask, resembling a large electric light bulb, almost filled with a brown liquid. Inside is a long tube filled with a clear liquid; both are capped with a sulphur and plaster of Paris cement. The total weight is slightly over seven ounces.

The outer flask is a pear-shaped glass bulb, 2-1/2 inches in diameter at the widest point, 3-15/16 inches in height to the neck, where it flares out 1/8 inch and forms a collar approximately 1 inch in height and 1-1/2 inch in diameter. This flask contains 8.75 ounces of titanium tetrachloride.

The inner glass tube is 3 7/8 inches long and 7/8 inch in diameter, resembling a test tube with the upper end sealed off; the weight is a little under an ounce. The upper end has a slight shoulder which rests on a rubber-like plastic washer; this washer in turn rests on the inside shoulder of the collar of the outer flask; thus, when the cementing material was poured, the inner tube was firmly sealed within the neck of the outer flask. The inner tube contains about 1.2 ounce of a 27 per cent solution of calcium chloride.

The smoke is produced by hydrolysis of titanium tetrachloride. The purpose of the inner tube of calcium chloride solution is to provide water to react with the titanium tetrachloride and produce an instantaneous smoke cloud in the desert or in cold areas, where the low humidity would cause a slow reaction. The calcium chloride is probably added to keep the water from freezing.

Just got this today its been hard to find one thats not broken.. ERIC
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade   Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade  

Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade   Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade  

Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade  

Default Re: Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade

I am a fan of grenades, and I like these.

They seem quite fragile..........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I am a fan of grenades, and I like these.

They seem quite fragile..........!
    Yes sir as they are very fragile ive looked for some time to find a intact set.. Havent seen a lid for sale yet
    By The Way This is ground dug item the stains of the chems are still their one is brown in the big glass and the other in the small tube looks like a crystal residue

Does anyone own one of these?

?

I've never seen an intact one save in the training film Männer gegen Panzer- where it sure is shown to be a crazy thing to use LOL
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

I have heard about these before but this is the first time ive ever seen one. I really like it...awesome relic! I wonder how much smoke in the right conditions they actually produce? Very interesting Eric, thanks for posting!
    Regards, Edwin

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Does anyone own one of these?
    Eric, I have two complete ones in my collection and will post them later on today....BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade   Blendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade  

Last edited by Bill Grist; 02-07-2011 at 02:23 AM.
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Thank you all. Looking foward to seeing yours BILL.

ERIC

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Thank you all. Looking foward to seeing yours BILL.

ERIC
    Eruic, Here they are again...BILLBlendkorper 2h glass smoke grenadeBlendkorper 2h glass smoke grenade
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Thanks for showing I wish that I had the caps for mine.

ERIC