Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Business End Of A MKII Grenade

Article about: VERY interesting, thanks mucho for posting!

Default Re: The Business End Of A MKII Grenade

Very nice M6 fuze and top of grenade can. What happened to the rest of it? Do you have any C handles, the curved ones for pineapples?

Here's pics of my over stamp spoons. 2 are "42" stamped, and I have one "48" PMC-1 also like yours.

I am not sure what these numbers are, I think maybe the date of modification and/or re-use of spoon, and the initials of the Ordnance Officer in charge of these modifications maybe. Kind of like the 3 letter cartouches found on weapons.
    I have seen no documentation on these numbers are, have you? This also maybe should also be posted on BOCN to see what others think.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Business End Of A MKII Grenade   The Business End Of A MKII Grenade  

The Business End Of A MKII Grenade  

Quote by Dirt Detective View Post
    Hi Steve, Mike is right..I know who Hayes is..bought a few things from him during the old Great Western Gun show days..but dont know him.
    maybe I have sold you a few of your spoons??

Where I have found spoons, they stopped training in 43. I cant see the factory shipping fuzes without spoons and I cant see the Army going thru the effort of sending spoons back but its possible I guess. Im just not convinced yet
    Ah Yes, Mike, Hello! I was going to get a few things from you about a year ago, but......you never got back to me. I got your emails still if I look for them. ( I will now )

I get my stuff from all over the place. Wherever I see it.

I am not saying you are incorrect, just that this stuff is what I think is kind of a mystery. They did not take a lot of time to document this stuff for collectors 65 years later.

It is interesting that my over stamps are "42" stamped and they are early M10A1's.

They took the time to X out all the A1's and re mark them after they did "modify" them somehow. This "somehow" was for sure I think the bickford fuze set up, because the A1's were recalled after found to be defective in the delay train.

What do think about this? Have you read or seen manuals documents etc?

Regards, Steve

Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the heads up on the BOCN, I had not seen it yet. Im registered now..looks like a cool place for collectors like us.

I did a quick check on some of my overstamped spoons, so far I have found numbers 47, 48 & 50 (years???) ..my new years resolution is to get my spoons sorted out .

Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the heads up on the BOCN, I had not seen it yet. Im registered now..looks like a cool place for collectors like us.

I did a quick check on some of my overstamped spoons, so far I have found numbers 47, 48 & 50 (years???) ..my new years resolution is to get my spoons sorted out .

Interesting, I have not seen these numbers yet. It adds to the theory of being a date I think.

You did not know BOCN? this is the place to get the type of little insignificant (to most, but me it seems) details on Ordnace related items. It is a great site, you will enjoy it if you truly interested in details grenades and ordnance. I like the site, and I am happy to share pics and any info with other collectors. I learn a lot there also.

Keep me posted with any other numbers you find on these over stamps, and also any other odd fuzes. I would appreciate it. I like to have this information for research purposes.

Regards, Steve

?

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Thanks for posting this, it's interesting! Like Johnnie said, I'd read that the serrationshad no effect on the actual fragmentation pattern, but obviously that's not true. I always thought that an explosion would seek the path of least resistance anyhow, in this case being the indentation. They definitely cut up the truck!

By the way, would anyone please be able to point me to any place online I might be able to buy an MK2 frag? I've not seen any on the auction site I usually visit in a long time. I've started a grenade collection but have had no luck with one of these!
    Hi,

I have one up for auction on this site: WWII U.S. MkII Hand Grenade Inert : World War I / II at GunBroker.com

I had not done any selling out of the USA until last week when I closed a deal with a fellow in Germany. I just shipped a MkII to him this past Monday with hopes that it won't have any difficulty clearing German Customs. According to a friend from the UK, there are really no problems shipping this type of ordnance to Great Britain. If that is the case, I'd be glad to sell one to you. Email me at: westgate44@aol.com

Cheers,

Jerry Lawrence (JLaw)
    Framingham, MA 01701
    USA

Hi Jerry, Thats a good looking frag.

?

Hi Jerry, Thats a good looking frag.
    Hi Dirt Detective,

Glad you like it. Well, I feel like kind of a dope. After I posted my message I noticed that the date of the initial post was way back in April, and when I replied to Toxic Gas I was thinking, hey, maybe I can get this fellow interested in the one I have on GunBroker right now. It was my first post so I've got to stay awake on dates, huh?

The pics of the MkII you posted with the original thread are great. That's the whole package with the marked cannister, and a real nice example of an early Yellow/OD paint over. I have one, a "Lazy S" and I was lucky enough to pick up an all Yellow "Lazy S" as well.

My collection was up to almost 40 pieces before I started selling them off. I kept about a dozen nice ones that I just couldn't part with. I just recently got bitten by the German Helmet Collecting bug and I've been selling off almost everything I have that isn't nailed down in order to get the funds to buy. You know all about that bug, don't you?

Thanks for the contact and best regards,

Jerry

Quote by JLaw View Post
    Hi Dirt Detective,

I just recently got bitten by the German Helmet Collecting bug and I've been selling off almost everything I have that isn't nailed down in order to get the funds to buy. You know all about that bug, don't you?

Thanks for the contact and best regards,

Jerry

Hey jerry we could be brothers. Do you know about GHW site German helmet Walhala? A good site for us new guys in German helmets.
    Ive got my WWI footlocker for sale now to fund what else...a german helmet..

?

Hey jerry we could be brothers. Do you know about GHW site German helmet Walhala? A good site for us new guys in German helmets.
    Ive got my WWI footlocker for sale now to fund what else...a german helmet..
    Yep, I joined in November. I just got promoted to Gefreiter. My collection is small, 6 pieces, but one of the best is a Winter Camo that I was lucky enough to win on GunBroker. No more auction sites for me without checking with the guys on GHW first. My latest is a SD LW M42 (my first and only M42) that I got from a member in Jamtland, Sweden. It's on the way from there right now.

If you want to email me for direct talk, the address is: westgate44@aol.com I'll send some pics of what I have up to now. You from the USA?

Best,

Jerry Lawrence
    Framingham, MA 01701
    USA

Just thought I'd check this thread again- thanks for the offer JLaw, though I recently just made a purchase and now I'm poor again for a while! I've bid on a Norwegian copy of a MK2 frag, and will post photos if I win it. I've made a thread if anyone cares to help with any info on it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast