Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Calibre Chart

Article about: I always have a problem converting British 2 pdr,17 pdr,25 pdr. and other things like that into inches,here`s a chart I found,it helped me,maybe it will help you?

?

Default Calibre Chart

I always have a problem converting British 2 pdr,17 pdr,25 pdr. and other things like that into inches,here`s a chart I found,it helped me,maybe it will help you?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Calibre Chart  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Default Re: Calibre Chart

Thank you for posting this, I always wondered how big the guns were when they mentioned the size in pounds instead of mm even.

?

Very good chart,british gun designations are very vague aren't they,from memory only one 25pdr round was close to 25lbs(HE?),all the rest were miles off...sure the rest were similiar

Did the Brits use that designation as a hold over from the muzzle loading cannons? The size/weight of the shot being used to designate the weapon?

Awsome chart.
    Thanks for posting it.

Burt

Quote by Torch View Post
    Very good chart,british gun designations are very vague aren't they,from memory only one 25pdr round was close to 25lbs(HE?),all the rest were miles off...sure the rest were similiar
    Yes, that's right. For the 25-Pr the standard HE shell with fuze weighed 25 lbs, other ammunition had different overall weights. The 25-Pr's armour piercing shot was 20lbs for example.

I don't know if they're any more vague than anything else, after all, 88mm doesnt tell you much about what's coming at you either, just how wide it is

Rob