Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!

Article about: I'm beginning to think that it might be some sort of sub-munition or bomblet that would have been packed into a carrier shell along with several others. Thanks Danny

Default Re: Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!

I'm beginning to think that it might be some sort of sub-munition or bomblet that would have been packed into a carrier shell along with several others.

Thanks

Danny

Default Re: Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!

thats a good idea my idea is its a fuse of some sort try and remove the very top screw on the x shape bit of metal as it conects 4 peices (its not going to blow up)

tom

Quote by talltom View Post
    (its not going to blow up)
    .......and we never hear from her again

If you could maybe describe any moving parts/its constrution it might yield some clues. I'm searching my brain, books and internet and so far havent come up with anything

Thanks

Danny

Just found this: Fileemonstration cluster bomb.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They look similar don't you think?

Thanks

Danny

?

I reckon you got it dead right Danny, the only question now is,,, was it a demonstration model or live and if so has it been made inert, ive been trying to find out when phillips screws were first used as it seems its been secured by them, was it done post war and if so theres every chance that its been made safe

From what I've read up on google about these cluster bomblets, they are very well known not to detonate and picked up by people so I wouldnt rule out it possibly being live just for safetys sake. I havent found an exact match to the one shown in this thread, but all the ones I have found are very similar.

Thanks

Danny

?

According to google phillip screws were invented in 1936 so its quite possible this is a WW2 era piece

in that case don't unscrew the top peice as it might blow up

tom
    danny i can see what your getting at with the cluster bombs ill ask around with some armourer mates and see if i can find one that looks the same megan are you american, british or what as that will help narrow down countries

?

Ok , just viewed the history re types of bomblets, there are literally hundreds, however the one that seems to match the closest is the one that Danny posted, this is from an American honest john missile, now the scary part, its well known that many of these bomblets failed to explode and have been used for other purposes, like mines, booby traps etc, Dannys picture of this bomblet contained Sarin gas, ie chemical warfare, you say that its heavy, theres two reasons why, one is that it still contains the explosive and the other is because of the type of shrapnel required to maim, kill or cause as much damage as possible, i must admit i would seriously consider having this thing examined by a fully qualified armourer or bomb disposal expert just for safetys sake, by the way dont drop it or bash it around , although it might not have gone off before now, they are tempremental little buggers and not as innocent as they appear

I agree with the sub-munition idea, but IMO the design looks too modern to be WW2.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast