Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!

Article about: I'm beginning to think that it might be some sort of sub-munition or bomblet that would have been packed into a carrier shell along with several others. Thanks Danny

Default Re: Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!

heres some more info my mate just doesn't sleep (luckily) what you have is a cluster bomblet these sit inside a cluster bomb when the bomb is relesed it falls to the ground at a certain altitude the bomb opens up and drops the bomblets THESE DO EXPLODE when the bomblets hit the ground a lot will explode but about 20% won't makeing them deadly and banned now after the 1st gulf war where these were dropped over iraqCan someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!
    the last one shown is a training one (the blue paint means drill round)
    megan are there any certificates that corosond with this item lying around (a deactivation certificate)
    there are many different types anti runway, anti personal, leaflet, and mine yours is a anti personal/anti vehicle

hope it helps
    do not fiddle until its certain to be deact because its still got its caseing on (meaning its either been deactivated then put back together or its live)

tom

tom

Default Re: Can someone please tell me what this is? and the value?! i have no idea!!

Danny has nailed this as a 'bomblet' !

Only a matter of finding out what type it is. There is a fellow named
    Ed Strazdes at " www.inertord.net " who knows, or may know
    someone who will.

I think if Grandad owned it, it is probably safe and he knew it,
    but better to have someone qualified/experienced look it
    over to make sure.

I wouldn't call 'Bomb Disposal' if you want to see it again.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 11-01-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Well, maybe if we hear back about her Grandad and who he was/what he did that might shed some light on it as he might have miss-indentified it himself if he wasnt military or lacked the knowledge about this sort of thing. I'm assuming that he was ex military if he was giving a presentation though

Thanks

Danny

Its a Blu 42/B or a 54/B. The 54/B had the self detinating device so if it hadn't exploded in the pre determined time, it will self destruct. A plain steel colour would indicate to me its a live 42/B (Unless its got proof of FFE) A light blue colour would denote practice (Note, some practice weapons still contain explosives and are dangerous) a dark blue would indicate Drill and is Free From Explosive.

Also the Soviets made a copy called POM-1S

These bomblets or minelets date from just Pre Vietnam upto more recent conflicts.

?

The one that started this thread is a plain steel colour, therefore potentionally live and dangerous unless proven inert, so i take it that the advice re having this item examined stands as a matter of urgency for the sake of safety and should not be handled unless absolutely neccessary

I would not want this thing anywhere near my house. Just my 2 cents!

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Well, maybe if we hear back about her Grandad and who he was/what he did that might shed some light on it as he might have miss-indentified it himself if he wasnt military or lacked the knowledge about this sort of thing. I'm assuming that he was ex military if he was giving a presentation though Thanks, Danny
    IF.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Lets hope she didnt take Toms word for it

Thanks

Danny

Strictly speaking from my EOD point of view, If I was handed this or found it (If I found it, I'd suspect there would be many more laying around, its not often that you find one in the ground on its own) then I would counter mine it. Military EOD usually dont have the time or inclination to render safe any munition they dont have too.

This pic is from a US Tech manual I was given in Iraq.

I found a extra little bit of info, in the original photo, the TRIP LINE RETAINING SPRING are retained by philips head screws, untouched examples ***APPEAR*** to be retained by a riveted head on the STEM (See above diagram). This should not be taken as Gospel in any way as its possible this is a service modification.

Megan

I know your grandfather left you this and it has sentimental value, but PLEASE get it checked out by a qualified person. If it is live, it is EXTREMELY dangerous and will do just what it was designed to do........kill or maim.

You need to notify the police who will then notify EOD. Don't worry, you won't get into trouble doing this, but you will either get reassurance that it is inert, or get a very dangerous object out of your house.

Steve T

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast