Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

can you tell me what ive found

Article about: hi,ive been to monte camino in Italy and found these on the floor can any of you please take the time and tell me what they are Many thanks Adam

?

Hi,IMO that is a 30-06 bullet going by the long distance between the base and the cannelure ring,I have attached a picture of a .303 bullet for comparison.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture can you tell me what ive found  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

The round in the first two pics appears to be a .30cal US armor piercing round.
    Can see a pic here: .30 caliber Armor Piercing bullets .308 30-06 For Sale at GunAuction.com - 10629212

Nice couple of finds from a historical place!

The fuze looks to be a No 117 or a 119, from a 25pr or a 5.5" medium gun, used by the Allies.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...FYJxFAodFzALrQ

Quote by Jimbo View Post
    The round in the first two pics appears to be a .30cal US armor piercing round.
    Can see a pic here: .30 caliber Armor Piercing bullets .308 30-06 For Sale at GunAuction.com - 10629212

Nice couple of finds from a historical place!
    Even as smashed up and distorted as these are I would beg to disagree. The cannelure or groove/ring is quite different (BTW the purpose of the cannelure is to carry a lubricant to improove barrell transit). In the image you show it is comparitively deep and is smooth with straight shoulders. In the images at the top of this thread the cannelure is of a milled (looks like grooves at right angles to the axis) appearance and is relatively shallow. Also, in my humble experience (both delivering and receiving) of both types the AP round which has a tungsten (in most cases) core tends to part company completely with the copper jacket if it hits anything really hard whilst if it hits a soft target it tends to remain (the core that is) pretty much in one piece with some at least of the jacket attached. In the case of a standard ball (lead cored) round we see exactly the results pictured here.

It's really great that we get the chance to debate this basic level of what some might call trivia but I am sure that many who read this thread will learn something to add depth to anyones general interest in the subject.
    Much more relevant than "how big is the bang when a Tiger tank runs over a nuclear bomb"?

Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by hangarman View Post
    The fuze looks to be a No 117 or a 119, from a 25pr or a 5.5" medium gun, used by the Allies.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...FYJxFAodFzALrQ
    Well spotted, it may be the section between the striker assembly and the main fuse body which is made of brass and has a screw thread at each end plus the milled ring we see here. Also the profile appears to slope outwards at the correct angle. So, not a nose cap or a fuse but a small part of the fuse. Well done.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Very interesting Mark, I see exactly what youre saying.
    Maybe its a .303 long tracer round then as pictured at the bottom of this link? Archaeology South-East | Shoreham WW1 Army Camp Project

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2