Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cartridge ID.

Article about: Hi, I have these five cartridges in a clip, and would like to know what they really are, i know some of you are experts on these but i dont have a clue. hope you can help the size is 3,7/8&q

Default Cartridge ID.

Hi,
    I have these five cartridges in a clip, and would like to know what they really are, i know
    some of you are experts on these but i dont have a clue. hope you can help the size is 3,7/8" high, bottom of the cartridge is 14 /16" Cartridge ID.Cartridge ID.Cartridge ID. and the round size is 1/2" they have a head stamp of K41 over W11. the clip is marked 1941 over 1 CHP.
    Hope you can help.
    Dave.

?

They are .55 Boys British anti-tank cartridges,Kynoch is the maker......https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...96.7wsFoPE7cw4
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Very nice Boys cartridges and stripper

?

Originally these were Armour Piercing W Mark II cartridges.

"Cartridge S.A. Armour Piercing .55 inch W Mark II" was approved in June 1939 and shown in LoC Paragraph B.3058 of December 1939. it was to design D D/L/8381 (later superceded by Design D D/L/14009) and differed from the W Mark I in having a shorter bullet weighing 735 grains with a charge of 212 grains of Cordite MDT 7-2. The bullet had a cupro-nickel clad steel envelope with a hardened steel core weighing 445 grains in a lead/antimony sheath.

Velocity was increased to 2,900 feet per second and penetration proof was increased to seven out of ten bullets should penetrate 19mm of armour at 100 yards at 20 degrees angle of attack.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Hi,
    thanks for the info on the cartridges iv had them for some time but never found out what they can i still get heads for them or are they hard to find.
    Regards Dave .

As you would require AP bullets, it would be a very long shot given that they are illegal to possess under section 5(1A)(g) of the firearms act.

I made some projectiles from Stainless steel to replicate the look. I've got the charger too and I'm going to get some loose rounds for the mag of my rifle. I made a simple sizing die for the case and then used a LEE .303 bullet seating tool to seat the dummy to the correct position.