Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Clarity on firearms law in relation to bullets

Article about: Hi all Can I get opinions from my fellow experts out there as I am constantly having 'discussions' with people about AP, I and API bullets. And before we go any further, let me clarify that

The wording of the law makes no distinction between fired and unfired. They are illegal to possess.

Also, the firearms act actually makes no distinction between new/old/relic parts. This being the case, a completely rusted to hell and back Sten gun bolt is still covered by the act, regardless of its condition.

?

Note the wording "designed to be, or has been,..."

Fired AP bullets etc. are included in the prohibition by my understanding of the Act.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

I am glad I live where I do,in Canada,so far,we don`t have any of those restrictions.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

I thought there were some restrictions on tracer and incendiary ammunition in Canada, Pete

Regards
    TonyE

Avoid them im afraid, I got into a world of Sh*t a couple of years back for exactly this reason.

?

Quote by TonyE View Post
    I thought there were some restrictions on tracer and incendiary ammunition in Canada, Pete

Regards
    TonyE
    Hi,yes on incendiary & explosive only.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

As far as my understanding of the law goes it is indeed unlawful ( I was always taught that an illegal was a sick bird) to possess the items discussed without an appropriate certificate. Whether you would be prosecuted for holding a relic one as part of a collection is doubtful as it may not be seen by the procurator fiscal / CPS as being in the public interest, not within the 'spirit' of the legislation to do so. HOWEVER this would depend on the individual prosecutor and the decision could rest on factors such as perceived need to send a message to the wider community, stated cases, current policy, did he/ she get lucky the night before and other various and arcane reasons. In short the only ways to be 100% sure not to fall foul of the law is to either give the items a wide berth or get the necessary paperwork.

?

There is an alternative, get the correct paperwork.

Regards
    TonyE

Quote by TonyE View Post
    There is an alternative, get the correct paperwork.

Regards
    TonyE
    Unfortunately the individual licencing authorities don't all sing from the same hymn sheet, mine says there is no such thing as a 'Ammunition collectors slot' on a FAC, despite me knowing people in other counties that have!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast