MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?

Article about: Hello everyone one of these is drilled and to me looks safe. If anyone can identify especially one mounted to a round base .

Default Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?

Hello everyone one of these is drilled and to me looks safe.
    If anyone can identify especially one mounted to a round base .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?   Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?  

Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?   Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?  

Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?   Do any of these mills grenades look safe ?  

They all show remnants of white paint, indicating that they are dummy training grenades. I'd still be wary of any grenade I couldn't disassemble. Unless you can be one hundred percent sure by doing so, it's never going to be guaranteed safe.

B.B.

CBH
    ?

The grenade with the plate is for use in a grenade launcher.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    They all show remnants of white paint, indicating that they are dummy training grenades. I'd still be wary of any grenade I couldn't disassemble. Unless you can be one hundred percent sure by doing so, it's never going to be guaranteed safe.

B.B.
    Yep, the white paint and drilled holes indicate a dummy or "Drill" item which should have never contained any kind of volatile material. It was simply for handling and throwing practice.
    The one with the holes appears to have no base plug so what would have been a dummy fuse is probably absent too.
    The one with the plate seems to have no plunger fitted and the "ears" that support the lever have been broken off too.

However, Brodie is correct to advise caution as you never know with these things. If you can see inside the shell and that it is empty then you are sure. I can't see for sure from the pictures so be careful.

The No1 Mk1 discharger cup can be seen here;

British "Mills Bomb" (3 of 3) - Inert-Ord.Net

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

For reference, a photograph of a Mills bomb with the detonator absent. This is what it should look like in order for it to be considered safe. The larger hole is for the detonator, the smaller one for the fuse.

Regards, B.B.

Nice finds, they look like inert drilled, drill grenades but of course exercise caution. I've found live grenades on drill sites before so never assume it is OK to handle.