Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Dug This up and a little concerned can anyone identify ?

Article about: Hello People, My dad is a builder but has been working on his own yard in sheffield and has dug this up and im quite convinced its an artillery shell and may well still be live. Can anyone c

Default Re: Dug This up and a little concerned can anyone identify ?

The habit of souveniring and the post war shortages of everthing except war surplus stuff meant folks were using 25 pounder projectiles as door stops and 6 pounder shells as meat tenderizers (by pounding the meat!)-these were actual reports from Australia in the 70s and 80s as the wartime generation started to 'move on' into new retirement homes or pass away and homes were cleared out-would be rare by now but you never know what might still turn up...

Any ideas what your dads yard was before it was a builders yard? I'm wondering if it may have been a munitions factory or a projectile case factory. I remember a while back that they had to evacuate Gilbert Gylkes turbines in Kendal because workmen found the tail of a bomb sticking out of the ground. When EOD dug it out, it was just the tail but it came to light that the Gilbert Gylkes factory of WW2 made bomb tails and this one ended up buried.

Well the yard has been in the family since the 1950's and before that it was a place where the landowner kept chickens, so i dont think it has any kind of past that would explain the shell turning up.

So, how did you go on with SYP? Not heard anything about half of Sheffield being shut down on the news.

Hmm...maybe the "not hearing" any news IS news...!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

You may have a point there.

Hi Lee,
    As said leave it cordon it off and get the police and bomb disposal onto it, it may be a dud but with this sort of thing the old saying is if you,er not sure leave it alone. Do the right thing and you could save some lives. Best of luck.
    Dave.
    ps, looking at the size going by your ruler, it could be an 18lbs shell.

Well long story short my uncle has been a pain about it because he has been using hire equipment he didnt want the yard shutting down ! and trust me when i say i wasnt going to go against what he asked (not worth the hassle) . We are calling it in tomorrow as soon as we get to the yard. will keep you posted. As you would imagine my family/friends and me are gobsmacked about my uncles inaction. I personally would have called them on the day ! I am the third party in this and have no say in what happens at that yard.

that thing looks scary, id be too scared to touch it

Quote by leesmiffo View Post
    Well long story short my uncle has been a pain about it because he has been using hire equipment he didnt want the yard shutting down ! and trust me when i say i wasnt going to go against what he asked (not worth the hassle) . We are calling it in tomorrow as soon as we get to the yard. will keep you posted. As you would imagine my family/friends and me are gobsmacked about my uncles inaction. I personally would have called them on the day ! I am the third party in this and have no say in what happens at that yard.
    Hopefully its dealt with as soon as possible, as to be honest its quite irresponsible (and possibly illegal) to leave it in full knowledge of what it is. If I was in your position I would have went over his head and contacted the police myself.

Thanks

Danny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast