Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Eley Bros 12m ?

Article about: Found this casing while metal detecting down by the beach today, marked "ELEY BROS 12M", and as I've gathered "Eley Bros" is a british company but other than that... anyo

Default Eley Bros 12m ?

Found this casing while metal detecting down by the beach today, marked "ELEY BROS 12M", and as I've gathered "Eley Bros" is a british company but other than that... anyone?

?

Default Re: Eley Bros 12m ?

Looks like the remains of a 12 millimeter brass shotgun shell....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Here`s a picture of one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eley Bros 12m ?  
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks for clearing this up and providing the pic! When were these produced? I didn't even know that there had ever been such a thing as a brass shotgun shell, cool... not ww2 though I take it.

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Thanks for clearing this up and providing the pic! When were these produced? I didn't even know that there had ever been such a thing as a brass shotgun shell, cool... not ww2 though I take it.
    Brass shotgun shells have been around since the late nineteenth century. They had the advantage of being re-loadable and being weatherproof which early non-lacquered paper or card shells were not.

The fact that your shell is marked 12mm rather than .410 suggests it was made for export.

This site may tell more although I haven't had chance to read it fully.

Introduction to .410 shotshell collecting

Regards

Richie

?

I agree that this was almost certainly made for export, 12mm was never a term used to describe the calibre in Britain.

I have checked my Eley Bros. catalogues from 1898 to 1913 and nowhere is a 12mm shotshell listed, but since the catalogues were for domestic consumption that is not surprising.

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

?

Here`s a 50 year commemorative for Ducks Unlimited that I got in `87.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eley Bros 12m ?   Eley Bros 12m ?  

JEDEM DAS SEINE