Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Ever Seen a Mark II Cordite Headstamp Changed to a Mark VI?

Article about: I was cleaning up some some catridges today that I found on a former British island and came across this interesting headstamp. It seems that it was a cordite round that had a II stamped on

Default Ever Seen a Mark II Cordite Headstamp Changed to a Mark VI?

I was cleaning up some some catridges today that I found on a former British island and came across this interesting headstamp. It seems that it was a cordite round that had a II stamped on it with a stroke through it. Next to it is stamped VI. Part of the base is missing so I cannot see a manufacturer. Anyone seen one of these before?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ever Seen a Mark II Cordite Headstamp Changed to a Mark VI?  

?

Default Re: Ever Seen a Mark II Cordite Headstamp Changed to a Mark VI?

It is an unusual change, but not unknown. Is it a normal ball case or is it a blank? Without seeing the neck, my immediate reaction is that it is a Ball Mark II case that has been used to make a Blank Mark VI. More commonly in this case the original headstamp is ringed out by stamping a ring that goes through all the characters of the headstamp.

If it is a ball round though it would also make sense as the Ball Mark VI replaced the Ball Mark II in British service in 1904 (the Ball Marks III, IV and V all being hollow points that were banned by the St. Petersburg Convention in 1899).

Can we have a picture of the neck of the round please?

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Thank you Tony! I will post the remains of the neck within the hour. By the way, I'm still interested in purchasing your books, can you please tell me where I can order them from and the cost. Thanks again for your sage input.

Tony,

I'm afraid the cartridge was dug damaged but I have scanned two sides for you. I'm assuming that you, if anyone, might know what type of round it was. How rare is it to see the stroke through the II? Before I attempt to clean it any further I will read the section of cleaning/restoration for tips. A friend used naval jelly on that prior blank round I posted, but that may be too harsh. Any suggestions here? Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ever Seen a Mark II Cordite Headstamp Changed to a Mark VI?   Ever Seen a Mark II Cordite Headstamp Changed to a Mark VI?  

?

Since the case has lost its neck it is impossible to tell what it may have been originally. I am still disposed to think it was probably a Blank Mark VI made using a Ball Mark II case but that is only an informed guess.

Cancellations or "Barring through" as it was termed are not that unusual around that time period, especially on blanks. Attached is a page from my .303 inch headstamp book for the Blackpowder Blank Mark III and you can see that a number of different cancellations were made. It must have been very labour intensive to line the headstamps up like that!

I have posted details of the books on the other thread about 7.62mm blanks.

Regards
    TonyE
    Attached Files Attached Files
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/