Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Finds from a Norfolk beach

Article about: Went for a walk along the dunes at Winterton on Sea with my oldest boy this morning. The dunes were used as a range during the war. If you know where to look its still easy to find a few thi

Default re: Finds from a Norfolk beach

O.K Spotter I'll take some pictures when I'm next down there.I'm sure they are ordnance, and I believe they are 2" mortar rounds, like in your third pic, but I'm no expert on identification. They were very corroded and appear hollow. You can still see the remains of threads at one end on them, but like I said there is no end cap. It could be that the end fittings have simply corroded to dust, ( the tails and fragments I found are very corroded), the sand is acidic. Like I said I'll get some pics. Thanks

Calling Spotter, been back on the dunes and took some more pics, sorry they are not the best. You can see what I was trying to describe in a previous post.The shiny out of focus coin is a 20 pence piece!Also found the tail from what believe is a 4.2" mortar round (using your pic for identification). Also found a nice .303 casing dated 1943.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds from a Norfolk beach   Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Finds from a Norfolk beach   Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Hello Fakes,,im not going to commit to a 100% positive id on these,but i will say they LOOK very similar to heavily corroded 2inch smoke rounds,we find them with most of the thin body rotted away depending what the soil is like,These generally have the remains of the burnt smoke composition remaining inside .have a look at my attatched pictures,ignore the tail unit on my unfinished cutaway smoke round this is a later model tail .
    another possibility is 2inch illumination rounds again thin bodies and these have an alloy base where the tail fits on which often rots away,these should be an empty tube
    The Tail fin you show is for a 3inch mortar as shown in my earlier photo (mine is a 3inch didnt make it clear earlier)
    Generally the 3inch tail units have 2 holes in the fins and the 4inch have 3 holes in the fins
    I have also added some pics of a bunch of corroded 2 inch smokes we found on a task a few years ago sorry not best quality pics

hope this helps sorry im not doing a 100% pos id ,but without physically seeing them i dont want to commit,hope you understand why
    regards spotter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds from a Norfolk beach   Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Thanks Spotter, with your description I'll go with 2" smoke rounds. They are not completly hollow as per the description of the illuminating round but do have the residue inside them which you described as burnt composition. I'm still going to leave them where they are to be safe though. I enjoyed looking at your latest attachments. That was some collection in those pics!
    regards Jason.

Well hope i was of some help ,glad you liked the pics,,heres the uncropped versions for you.

Fakes2007

The item bottom right in your main picture is the inside of a No.36 Grenade, more precisely the detonator column. The spring gets imprinted onto the column itself when the grenade explodes, producing this odd kind of thread that you can see in your picture. The spring corrodes away over the years leaving just the imprinted column behind.

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Finds from a Norfolk beach  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2