Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flak 18 88mm Shell

Article about: This is my most recent addition to my collection. This isn't my collecting area in fact, but everyone needs an 88 right! It's an unfired projectile, I believe it's a Flak 18 anti tank or mat

Default Flak 18 88mm Shell

This is my most recent addition to my collection. This isn't my collecting area in fact, but everyone needs an 88 right! It's an unfired projectile, I believe it's a Flak 18 anti tank or material round, I think it has a very short delay on the fuze, but not sure. It also has a Steel casing, which are less common than brass ones.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flak 18 88mm Shell   Flak 18 88mm Shell  

Nice item !

It's an HE shell with what looks to be an AZ23/28 percussion fuze - the slotted screw changes it from superquick ( 'M' ) to delay ( 'V' ).

Thanks for the info on the delay and fuze thing, I wasn't too sure so you've helped me now, does the 0.15 after the V show the amount of delay?

Lightbulb

I think so.....although according to the US Tech Manual for the 88, the actual delay was 0.11 secs.....

Right ok, never knew that, was that so when it penetrated it didn't go off straight away, and went off inside a building, or tank?

Yes - just a fraction of a second to allow for penetration of a wall etc. The instantaneous 'superquick' setting produced the much-feared 'treebursts' used in the Ardennes & other forested areas.

Wow! That's some amazing history, and very clever German engineering. I got it for a good price and very happy with it, I previously thought it was AA round, but I'm so much happier it's AT/Anti Material etc

very nice buy.

Cheers Harry, I'm happy with it, popped it next to mah Lugerrrrr for the moment, looks good, here's a pic (I know it isn't in a cabinet, getting one soon )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Flak 18 88mm Shell  

?

Another nice purchase and great info from Martin !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast