Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found on Saipan near Marpi Point What is it?

Article about: I probably should not touch this but I did. Now somebody tell me what it is?

Default Found on Saipan near Marpi Point What is it?

I probably should not touch this but I did. Now somebody tell me what it is?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found on Saipan near Marpi Point  What is it?  

Default Re: Found on Saipan near Marpi Point What is it?

Oh yeah, Almost forgot . That is a American 50 cal. or aJapanese 12.5 caliber round that I also located but is only there for scale. I also found medicine bottles.

Looks like the bottom half of a fairly sizeable AP round. If it is solid metal I would suspect it is this, although there doesn't appear to be a drive band. Is it hidden beneath the rust ?

Also, you will be able to ID your cartridge by cleaning the base and seeing what the headstamp is. (apologies if you already knew this )

Cheers

Steve T

kphfun
    ?

I am thinking a Japanese anti-boat mine. After that much time in the water and the fact that the fuze is gone I am sure it is quite safe to handle.

?

I would never assume anything when it comes old ordnance found in a decaying condition, don't forget people are still being killed annually in France and thats from shells from WW1.

kphfun
    ?

I didnt say "Drop it" or throw it in a fire, I said "to handle". There is a big difference to a fuzed projectile that is in the ground and what he is showing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Found on Saipan near Marpi Point  What is it? 

?

Quite correct but as some explosives turn to a form of nitro over long periods , i just thought it might be safer than sorry, fuzed or not can still be dangerous, but heck who am i to help someone who might injure themselves or worse!!

Shall we keep it friendly guys? It can be dangerous but it can also be handled, if with care. I don't think that he will try drilling holes in it

cheers,

?

quite right, and if it appeared as unfriendly then i apologise, but i have seen the damage and heartache caused by the mishandling of an explosive device and had to deal with the aftermath personally, and i would not wish any other person to undergo that experience

I agree with you i wouldn't touch anything that i don't know what it is. Especially if it some-how looks like an explosive. But there are 2 kind of people that do touch it. People that know what they're doing and people that don't know what they're doing. The second kind is the kind that often result in injurys or even death. If an explosive tearns into a nitro it's often harmful if there is a blastingcap which can be screwd of. This often results in dangerous situations.
    May i ask what you have experienced? you can send a PM.

cheers,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast