Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found some .50 bullets, need some info

Article about: I found these bullets... from what I understand these are .50 bmg, and may be incendiary. Now, I would like to put them in my display case, but is it safe to do so? Any information will be g

Default Found some .50 bullets, need some info

I found these bullets... from what I understand these are .50 bmg, and may be incendiary.
    Now, I would like to put them in my display case, but is it safe to do so?

Any information will be greatly appreciated

MAP
    ?

I could be wrong but weren't incendiary rounds filled with magnesium? If so, I would assume to be safe to display. Just keep away from open flames....

Correction. I meant to say phosphorus, not magnesium.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've been searching the internet, and it looks like you were right the first time about the magnesium MAP (or some kind of metal mixture).
    I don't think I will keep them if they have phosphoros in them though.

Opinions vary on these things on the net, some say potentially dangerous, others say they only ignite at very high temperatures .

MAP
    ?

As a kid, I used to camp at an old military base, we used to find rods (well the older kids did) of magnesium and they would throw them in the camp fire. That is why I thought at first if was magnesium. Boy did they burn hot and bright white!

Anyway, better safe than sorry. Wouldn't want one of these catching on fire in a house!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I can't really tell what the size of these rounds are, but these don't look like .50's to me. .50's have a cigar butt shaped back.
    These look like .303's.

Chris
    *edit: see these rounds for comparison

@MAP
    I agree, but if it takes a fire or heavy impact to ignite them.. then I can live with that.
    I just don't want any risk of self-igniting or something like that out of the blue

@Niedersachsen
    They measure approx 12,7mm in diameter, the top one and the 4th from the top do have the cigar butts.
    My guess is the others are tracers,? but that's really only a guess.. my knowledge of ammo is zero... that's why I ask

If they measure 12.7 mm I'm mistaken, then these are indeed .50's! This chart might help.Found some .50 bullets, need some info

Chris

Thanks, that's a useful chart
    Unfortunately I can't detect any paint on the tips, maybe tomorrow in daylight.

I was thinking they might be tracers too. I've never found any tracers bullets, only ball. I know the tracing chemical is just in the rear of the projectile, and the way the rear of these is burned, that makes me think tracer. The one round all the way in the back of the pic looks like a boat tail, that could be ball, but too far from the lense to be sure

Thanks for the info Paul, here are some pics of the two without their rears burned off.
    And a rear shot of one of the ''tracers'', looks like it was filled about half way with some kind of white stuff.

Found some .50 bullets, need some infoFound some .50 bullets, need some infoFound some .50 bullets, need some info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast