Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Found some .50 bullets, need some info

Article about: I found these bullets... from what I understand these are .50 bmg, and may be incendiary. Now, I would like to put them in my display case, but is it safe to do so? Any information will be g

Yup, the one on the right is a regular ball/full metal jacket projectile, the lead looks like that after it's been fired, I've found quite a few like that. And tracers aren't made the same, they aren't meant to be as accurate, just trace a path. I've seen them do odd things, like 90 degree turns for no reason. I think it would be safe to say the rest are tracers, from the way they're burned and they have no boat-tail. I have some 5.56 tracer projectiles and they're straight like that, where as the 5.56 FMJs are boat-tailed.

MAP
    ?

Yup.. The one in the last picture is a tracer. I would say perfectly safe to keep these rounds, and would add a nice cache to any display.

When I was a kid I dug 50's out of a test firing range for airplanes at the local WW2 airbase near my house. I still have a small jar of them. I should have looked at them earlier.

And Kudo's to Paul and Chris for the additional information!

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    Yup, the one on the right is a regular ball/full metal jacket projectile, the lead looks like that after it's been fired, I've found quite a few like that. And tracers aren't made the same, they aren't meant to be as accurate, just trace a path. I've seen them do odd things, like 90 degree turns for no reason. I think it would be safe to say the rest are tracers, from the way they're burned and they have no boat-tail. I have some 5.56 tracer projectiles and they're straight like that, where as the 5.56 FMJs are boat-tailed.
    Good to know
    I think I can see how tracers can be inaccurate, without the tracing charge there isn't much weight left in the bullet.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Yup.. The one in the last picture is a tracer. I would say perfectly safe to keep these rounds, and would add a nice cache to any display.

When I was a kid I dug 50's out of a test firing range for airplanes at the local WW2 airbase near my house. I still have a small jar of them. I should have looked at them earlier.

And Kudo's to Paul and Chris for the additional information!

Michael
    I agree, I think some old bullets will be a nice addition to a display.
    Post some pics of that jar of .50's sometime!

?

Hey! I've read this post and I have similar "problem".... Can you help me and tell me if that bullets (B2 and B3) are safe to clean and keep them? See my last photo of first post here please: Identifying some parts of Boeing B-17 aircraft Tnx for your answers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2