Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Found some rusted shells on beach in Normandy

Article about: Hello, So, i was walking next to the cliffs at Veulettes-sur-mer in France and came across 3 shells, about 30 cm long, 8 to 10 cm in diameter. Completely rusted and no markings te see anymor

?

Default Found some rusted shells on beach in Normandy

Hello,

So, i was walking next to the cliffs at Veulettes-sur-mer in France and came across 3 shells, about 30 cm long, 8 to 10 cm in diameter. Completely rusted and no markings te see anymore. The tip seems te be absent. I took to our vacation home not realizing it might be not the smartest move
    I don't have a ruler here so do not have exact measurements. For now i'm just wondering if it is dangerous to take it home at the end of my vacation or that i should contact local police to have them safely dispose of it.

Kind regards,

Kim

You are absolutely correct that you should not move these things.

I have no idea what kind of round this is and that in the first instance is the scary thing, not knowing what it might contain.

It is obvious from the driving band that it has not been fired. As you say there appears to be no fuse at the tip but that is not certain as some rounds could have the "initiator" inside the body. It does look as if it could be a concrete filled drill round but you don't know that and it looks big enough to be quite unpleasant.
    Again, not knowing is the critical factor here!

I would suggest placing it away from habitation and if possible in a hole or depression in the ground. Keep away from it and call the authorities.

You will get told off for moving it but that is better than the potential alternatives.

Another reason for not moving stuff like this is that it could indicate that there is more stuff in the ground at the find location.

I have no doubt that someone here will know what type of round it is but it seems unlikely you will get an "all clear" over the forum.

Do not take a chance here!

On the ranges near where I live there are signs that warn against touching any objects found with the words "It may explode and kill you". I think that puts it rather succinctly and is not an overstatement

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-14-2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Leave it exactly where it is now, move away from it and inform the local police and/or bomb disposal!!!!

?

ever hear better safe than sorry?? always stay from unexploded ordinance!!! and report it to the authorities.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Leave it exactly where it is now, move away from it and inform the local police and/or bomb disposal!!!!
    Yep, my suggestion was based on the fact that he appears to be humping it around and that to simply put it down (in the middle of the street?) might be slightly less than ideal or popular!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It is an HE Shell. The fuze is of a mazac or similar alloy type and has decayed to that state. It is about as dangerous as it comes. Just picking it up can result in the fuze and then shell functioning. Even not fired as this appears to be the state of the fuze is way beyond safe.

In the bomb disposal world we have a name for the movement of such items technically we call it F#CKING STUPID!

In a previous post KimP you said you recovered one of these home from Normandy? If so then call the police and get someone who is qualified to deal with it! Oh, and that's the advice from someone who does this for a living!

It looks very like a 25 Pdr HE. The boat tail, the anti-piping base and a Fuze adaptor. But they should have a No 117 fuze which is brass so possibly not. The Germans however with the 105mm with an AZ23 which is alloy!!!!! Possibly It is also a single driving band boat tailed projectile so gets my vote.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    It is an HE Shell. The fuze is of a mazac or similar alloy type and has decayed to that state. It is about as dangerous as it comes. Just picking it up can result in the fuze and then shell functioning. In the bomb disposal world we have a name for the movement of such items technically we call it F#CKING STUPID!

In a previous post KimP you said you recovered one of these home from Normandy? If so then call the police and get someone who is qualified to deal with it! Oh, and that's the advice from someone who does this for a living!
    Well there you go, Darwins theory of evolution incarnate

As I said, "it looks like" (but you don't know that) doesn't mean it is

The only safe way to handle things like this is not to handle things like this.

Do you hear the sound of angels wings?

Regards

Mark

It's not like we know what we're talking about or anything Mark! The time to ask is before interfering (tampering I believe the term is) with the item not afterwards.

R

Made me feel sick when I saw this. It never ceases to amaze me how crazy people can be. You won’t be very popular with your neighbours or the police.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast