Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

French WWI 75mm canon shell? Any WWI ordnance inscription experts?

Article about: Trying to confirm what this shell is, what year it was made, and how many times reloaded if that's possible? Lots of stamps all over the place and stenciled letters in addition, doesn't read

Default French WWI 75mm canon shell? Any WWI ordnance inscription experts?

Trying to confirm what this shell is, what year it was made, and how many times reloaded if that's possible?

Lots of stamps all over the place and stenciled letters in addition, doesn't read 75 (poorly struck?) as neatly as some of the other examples seen in pics here and there, but there is a 5 before DE C would seem to indicate Canon 75 de Campagne, per this page, Large calibre markings (The Western Front Museum), which finally shed some light on this shell/trench ashtray.

Large calibre markings (The Western Front Museum)

Also the other stamping TE would seem to indicate Poudrerie de Toulouse that might have loaded it originally?

As far as the other stamping, and there are quite a few, and the stenciling in addition... is there any way to decipher how many times it was loaded, any clues as to what some of the other letters mean (L, S, there is also a stylized G in a circle) What are the numbers 541 17X also what is the date? I see a 16, 17 and 38 in the primer which originally led me to believe it was a WWII shell (it was in a WWII vet's collection), but I think this is a WWI shell?

It seems like the US, British and German shells are usually fairly well dated, just my luck I would have to find this one which is a much tougher nut to crack. Also different is maybe the screw in primer from the other 75mm French shells I've seen pics of, but this could be on account of it being reloaded?

Thx for your time.

Interesting. It looks like a WW1 French shell dated 1917. But, as you quite rightly say, the big primer is all wrong for WW1 French shells. Reloaded in 1938 by SFM..Societe Francaises des Munitions with a large primer...perhaps Naval ? Is that an anchor I see ? The TE for Toulouse would normally be written as A TE, the A being for Atelier (workshop), but I have seen numerous instances where the A is missing, especially A RS for Atelier de Rennes. So, a mystery, but a very interesting one. There are some very knowledgeable French collectors on here who will no doubt solve it for you in no time at all. Good luck.

Never seen one marked liked that before...Could it be French-made and exported to Czechoslovakia prior to 1938? Or a French-made Shell captured by the Germans and passed on to the Romanians...as they were supplied with captured French Artillery...?
    All 100% Speculation on my part, lol...But I sure like a good mystery!
    cheers, Glenn

I don't know...perhaps I can ask on a French Forum?
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thx immensely for the info, I had started to give up beyond my original research. So, much more info to add now, what an interesting piece. It's neat how something somewhat seemingly insignificant (especially to most non collector people) can have so much untold history.

I think I'll be keeping this piece for a while, as it probably has very little actual real world value... ;-) and I think I have an appreciation for it far in excess of its monetary value. Also, as I grieve a little for some of the neat WWI items I let slip through my fingers (especially now, through these anniversary years), this one small piece does give me a connection to that most harrowing of conflicts from reasonably modern times...