Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

G43 mag

Article about: Hi All I have a somewhat scruffy G43 mag I would like to restore. It has been painted (either since manufacture, or later) and that paint is now scratched and many parts are just bare metal

?

Default G43 mag

Hi All

I have a somewhat scruffy G43 mag I would like to restore. It has been painted (either since manufacture, or later) and that paint is now scratched and many parts are just bare metal so it looks rough.

My question is, for authenticity, should it be stripped back to bare metal and painted, or stripped back and left with an oiled bare metal finish?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I would go oiled and bare metal myself. Originals were not painted as far as I know.

?

Thanks for the feedback

It all depends on the manufacturer of the mag. Some were blued, some were painted and there are some late ones that had an almost clear phosphate finish. None were bare steel.

Interesting info. I have seen painted one before and always though post war painted.
    John

I found some of the following info on the K98k forum.

"acw", "avx", "rqs" were blued
    "aye" were painted, late ones were a clear/gray phosphate
    "awj" & "gcb" were painted
    post war Denmark made were painted

If its black enamel paint ,don't strip it,leave it alone! Its probably the original ww2 finish!Most of them had this black enamel painted finish.Here are a few.Or you can always sell it to me!ha
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture G43 mag   G43 mag  

MAP
    ?

mine are painted like Toecutters.

G43 Sniper ID??
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)