Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German 88mm HE Cut-Away Round

Article about: I thought this was interesting and very well done. The shell is a standard HE round (yellow) marked 38 (1938?) that has an A.Z. 23/28 aluminum percussion fuze dated 1939. When I took the pic

?

Default German 88mm HE Cut-Away Round

I thought this was interesting and very well done. The shell is a standard HE round (yellow) marked 38 (1938?) that has an A.Z. 23/28 aluminum percussion fuze dated 1939. When I took the picture the TNT bag inside the round had rotated and the label and stamps are not showing. It is numbered 1, has weight and some german stamps. This is one of the shells I recently picked up. It has a brass case with c/12 primer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German 88mm HE Cut-Away Round  

?

Default Re: German 88mm HE Cut-Away Round

Very nice,well sectioned!

Thumbs up Re: German 88mm HE Cut-Away Round

Very nice cataway! Where did you get it? If you can find pictures of his work DJ Harms from the Netherlands (Pzgr40) makes the best cutaways in the world. This one looks almost like a german instructional model. If it us stamped with a U that is exactly what it is.

?

Thank you for comments, I obtained it from an old collector who sold off his collection of military items. Where would the U be located. I don't see one that is very obvious.

?

Very nice- a proper early combat base-screw 8,8cm Sprgr. Patr. L/4,5 (Kz.) round with KPS driving bands; not a common beast to be sure.

Were it a Uebungs round, the U would doubtless be quite prominent, but I expect there are the proper markings all around- things like KPS, maybe numbers for the explosive filler type, etc. Luftwaffe Uebungs rounds were also colour-coded gray- I don't know if that was universal though; if so, being yellow means it was a regular HE shell.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...