Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Relic Bomb Fins........

Article about: I was wondering what type of bomb these relic fins were used for - and also perhaps a sane valuation. They're advertised in the Classified section: German bomb fins - Militaria Collectibles

Default German Relic Bomb Fins........

For discussion - I was wondering what type of bomb these
    relic fins were used on - and also perhaps a sane valuation.
    They're advertised in the Classified section:

German bomb fins - Militaria Collectibles buy - sell at War Relics
    Regards,

Steve.

?

They resemble the type you'd see slung under a Stuka....I think they are 250 Kg bombs....
    I have no idea of value I'm sorry

?

It actually states in the add these are SC 250 bombs

crazy price in good condition i have seen them for 200 -250 euros

?

Hah, crazy price......
    I don´t think so.
    I have sold sd-50 fins in good condition for 700£
    That´s a fact.
    Sc-250 fins are exact the same price.
    3x sd-50 fins + 1x sc-250 fins + shipping any place in Europe, seems like a bargain to me.
    But if it seems to bit crazy, You can always stick with buckles, rings, helmets, pens and other tinyshiny warehouse stuff.
    Just be aware there´s whole big world out there, blown up tanks, artillerys, crashed planes and droped bombs, all that kind of crazy stuff.....

I posted this on the sales thread so a reply would be good.

I'd like to see a better description of the items. Is the price for all of them or just for one? I'd also like to see information on how these were found?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Those bomb fins are from a 1941 battlefield.
    There is a small island called Saaremaa, in a middle of the Baltic Sea.
    And in the eastern part of Saaremaa there is Kübasaare peninsula.
    In Kübassaare peninsula year 1941 took place a German air dessant.
    A little quote:

While this was transpiring, one of the special Brandenburg commando teams was launched against Saaremaa Island. They were tasked with neutralizing the Soviet long range naval guns on the island. The Brandenburgers however met fierce Soviet shore based counter-fire and were forced to abandon their landing attempts. Sonderkommando “Benesch” (formed from the 16. Kompanie of the Brandenburger Regiment) was brought into Saaremaa via gliders. Five DFS 230 gliders of 6./LLG 1 (Glider Wing) carried them in on 14 September 1941, and 4 Me 321 gliders of Grossraumlastensegler Staffel (giant glider squadron) carried supplies beween 21-26 September. Their landing was successful, but they were quickly found by Soviet patrols and they were forced to seek shelter. Their deteriorating situation rapidly became a desparate struggle for survival. After evaluating their positions, Sonderkommando “Benesch” signaled headquarters and requested to be extricated from their positions. While the Luftwaffe provided cover, Sonderkommando “Benesch” was removed from Saaremaa via a seaborne evacuation.

Educational reading here:
    Naval War in the Baltic Sea 1941-1945

In Kübassaare there was 4 Soviet long range naval guns (4x 130mm B-13)
    First attack failed totally.
    Luftwaffe attacked the gun positions for several days.
    Several commandos managed to escape over sea.
    Heinkel He 59D W.Nr. 1821 rescue plane what was sent to rescue mission was hit after landing by handgun fire and abandoned.
    Lots of commandos managed to survive till Infanterie-Regiment 162 arrived and conquered the gun positions together.
    Even today there are many questions up in the air about that operation, because there are many contradictions about that.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Did you dig them up?

Quote by Habu View Post
    A little quote:

While this was transpiring, one of the special Brandenburg commando teams was launched against Saaremaa Island. They were tasked with neutralizing the Soviet long range naval guns on the island. The Brandenburgers however met fierce Soviet shore based counter-fire and were forced to abandon their landing attempts. Sonderkommando “Benesch” (formed from the 16. Kompanie of the Brandenburger Regiment) was brought into Saaremaa via gliders. Five DFS 230 gliders of 6./LLG 1 (Glider Wing) carried them in on 14 September 1941, and 4 Me 321 gliders of Grossraumlastensegler Staffel (giant glider squadron) carried supplies beween 21-26 September. Their landing was successful, but they were quickly found by Soviet patrols and they were forced to seek shelter. Their deteriorating situation rapidly became a desparate struggle for survival. After evaluating their positions, Sonderkommando “Benesch” signaled headquarters and requested to be extricated from their positions. While the Luftwaffe provided cover, Sonderkommando “Benesch” was removed from Saaremaa via a seaborne evacuation.

Heinkel He 59D W.Nr. 1821 rescue plane what was sent to rescue mission was hit after landing by handgun fire and abandoned.
    Lots of commandos managed to survive till Infanterie-Regiment 162 arrived and conquered the gun positions together.
    Even today there are many questions up in the air about that operation, because there are many contradictions about that.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi!
    Yes, those fins are dug.
    To be honest in that kind of soil bomb fins stay on the ground
    Its like soft gravel soil.
    Like old drifts.
    Sometimes only little hollow reveals the exact spot of bomb impact.
    In this case fins are tears off and bomb moves under the ground sometimes even over 5 meters.
    Its easy to recognize fins that had been never used, fins that been dropped down but not exploded and fins what have been there when bomb exploded.
    Those bomb fins what we have for sale are all been attached to German warplanes 1941 and dropped down in Kübassaare. All those four bombs lost their fins when they met the ground and traveled along all by themselves

?

Quote by Habu View Post
    A little quote:

Thanks for posting this information and the link , i have been to the Battlefield around Kübassaare , the Russian Gun emplacements are still there , i was aware of the assault by the Brandenburgers but had not seen any detailed information of the attack.

Very interesting place to visit and dig !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast