German uboat ammo

Article about: What an amazing item!!!! Good find McGyver

?

Default Re: German uboat ammo

What an amazing item!!!! Good find McGyver

?

interesting,

Here is a picture of a U-boat Shell Casing from the U-507. It was recently found in the Gulf of Mexico near the shipwreck of the SS Alcoa Puritan. The casing was standing upright on the ocean floor near the shipwreck, the shiny brass portion was where the base was sitting in the mud.

I think this cartridge case is 105mm as the U-507 was a type IX-C which should have had a 105mm deck gun.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German uboat ammo  

that is indeed a 105
    I WANT ONE :-)
    McGyver

?

Quote by McGyver View Post
    I have of course the c12 and the ekz23/28 as well :-)
    also the powder bag and bleidrath...
    Ah, okay- since only the gaine cup is in the photo, and the primer removed from the case, it seemed as if those parts were absent- good then that the round is truly complete (save for the dangerous chemicals)
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Quote by AKbear View Post
    What an amazing item!!!! Good find McGyver
    Nah, if he's truly McGuyver, he didn't find it he built it from a couple of rubber bands, a jelly baby, a little battery acid and some special mud from the side of the road LOL

well I think it is time to post a picture of the result
    no jelly or rubber bands here...
    McGyver
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German uboat ammo  

?

Very nice

?

Yikes! You polished and painted it? Ouch... to a lot of people, myself included, that really destroys the value. Original condidion is the most important thing with any antiques; it's always said to be the worst thing you can do is to 'restore' something unless it's addressing an actively destructive process like verdigris. Otherwise to preserve value, you should leave things alone. Were I still collecting ordnance, I would've been very interested in the piece as it was in the first picture, and willing to pay a good price for it, but would have no interest at all in it all polished and repainted. No offense intended, but what a shame...

?

hi macgyver,,,nice job on the restoration...different strokes different folks...IMHO a great job and a fine addition to any collection ........cheers Paul

Talking Re: German uboat ammo

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Yikes! You polished and painted it? Ouch... to a lot of people, myself included, that really destroys the value. Original condidion is the most important thing with any antiques; it's always said to be the worst thing you can do is to 'restore' something unless it's addressing an actively destructive process like verdigris. Otherwise to preserve value, you should leave things alone. Were I still collecting ordnance, I would've been very interested in the piece as it was in the first picture, and willing to pay a good price for it, but would have no interest at all in it all polished and repainted. No offense intended, but what a shame...
    As I have 2 of these rounds and the painted one was not as god as the one on the first pic.
    On the non polisched there is stil visible scratches from the production of the case. And on the shell there is vissible all the stripes from the turning. and ALL the Wa markings...
    and you can stil see the outline of the paint markings on both the case and shell

McGyver

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast